Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hippa and Unauthorized Copy of Drivers Licence

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Arizona

Yesterday I hit a a sign in the pharmacy drive through at local Grocery store. I told the pharmacy clerk at window. He informed me manager will be out shortly to talk with me. Asst manager came out out and said it wasn’t too bad. The Manager of grocery store came out and said he had my license number and if it was current with address. I informed all was correct and how he obtained my DL number. He said pharmacy clerk made him a copy of my license (Note pharmacy always asks for my ID But has never made copy) and never asked me insurance information. If he would have aske I wouldn’t have a problem providing license or insurance information. My question is, isn’t this a HIPPA violation and taking a copy of my license without my consent legal? I was in the wrong I admit it and told clerk what I had done.

Default Re: Hippa and Unauthorized Copy of Drivers Licence

You drivers license is not protected medical information.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    like button

But is pharmacist aloud to give non medical personal my information obtained through me picking up meds?

There are no laws prohibiting him from doing so.

In fact, because it was an auto accident, the DMV would have released all your information anyway.

Quote Quoting Cowgirlupsweett
    View Post
    But is pharmacist aloud to give non medical personal my information obtained through me picking up meds?
    As long as he didn't also tell him what meds you got, yes.

The things on your driver's license are not protected data.

And BTW, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    And BTW, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA
    The poor HIPPA, always maligned through no fault of his own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippa#...8948_plrtu.JPG

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    As long as he didn't also tell him what meds you got, yes.

The things on your driver's license are not protected data.
    I disagree. In the hands of a covered health care provider, it is protected by HIPAA. The HIPAA privacy rule is broader than most people seem to think it is. Under HIPAA regulations, protected health information (PHI) includes more than just information on medical conditions of a patient. The protected information includes information held by a covered health care provider (including pharmacy) or health insurer that:

(1) Is created or received by a health care provider, health plan, employer, or health care clearinghouse; and
    (2) Relates to the past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition of an individual; the provision of health care to an individual; or the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to an individual; and
    (i) That identifies the individual; or
    (ii) With respect to which there is a reasonable basis to believe the information can be used to identify the individual

45 C.F.R. § 160.103. As HHS states on its HIPAA privacy rule summary page: "Individually identifiable health information includes many common identifiers (e.g., name, address, birth date, Social Security Number)." The driver's license obviously includes that sort of protected information, and disclosure of the driver's license number would be akin to disclosure of the SSN as it is a way to personally identify the patient. Under this rule a covered provider violates HIPAA even by simply disclosing to others without authorization the names or other identifying information of the people it treats. The rule is not just about protecting information about medical conditions.

Here, the driver's license information was received by a health care provider in connection with (relating to) provision of health care to an individual or in connection payment for health care of an individual, and it is information that clearly identifies the individual. The unauthorized disclosure of such information by the covered health care provider is a HIPAA violation.

If asked in person she would have to to give it to the manager anyway, to me it just sped things up.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast