Default .and then She Burned It Down

The state of: MN

I do not have insurance, and I was informed that she doesn't either.

I don't even know where to start. This lady has been tormenting me since 2011, and today she burned my apartment. The situation is a 6-plex side by side apartment building with her on the very end, and me the 2nd from the end.

The beginning:
    I got a knock on the door. Police officer. Says the neighbor claims I'm recording her through holes in the walls. He looked around, and then all we could do is share a laugh over how ridiculous that is, then he left. This is how I was introduced to "Leslie" in 2011.

A few weeks/months go by.. another cop knocks and says the neighbor called because she heard a child being sexually abused. Again, complete insanity. That one has always bothered me. That's on record somewhere.

Things started escalating between us. Everything was somehow my fault. I honestly did everything I could to keep quiet and avoid her, but the police were called on regular basis. One of the times they were there she was asked what kind of meds she takes, and as she was listing them off the cop and I looked at each other stunned because it just went on and on and on.

She would randomly pound on the walls & windows at all hours of the day yelling about God knows what. This was an awful way to live for me, every day was a potential 'episode', and I thought it was only a matter of time until she really went crazy on me. Believe it or not I feared for my life, and I hit a point where I *had* to move out in 2014.

In 2015 I had to go to court because she wanted a restraining order against me. Basically claimed everything wrong in her life was my fault (including telling the court I threatened to kill her grandson). Like I said, by this point I had moved out a year earlier. I didn't even live there! The judge literally said "This is the most out of left field case I think I've ever seen." and dismissed it.

I rented the place out, and the new tenant was now her target. She thought he was my son, and put him through the same nonsense she put me through. She broke both my screen doors, smashed a door handle, would peel paint in my entryway, etc etc etc, I could go on all day about how awful it has been to have this lady in my life.

I figured it'd only be a matter of time before Leslie drove my tenant out, and I'd lose my rent income. Well, she did it.. her apartment caught fire today (accidentally) and severely damaged mine. Not only is my tenant homeless, and my rent income is gone, but now my 'nest egg asset' is literally charred. I don't know what to do.

Ultimately, her problem is the pills she takes/forgets to take/combines incorrectly/takes with alcohol, etc... this is what I was told by police countless times, and there's "nothing they can do about it." To me it seems she's basically a lab experiment, or, they just don't care as long as her insurance is paying the bills. I feel like I may have a case against whoever is 'carelessly' prescribing these drugs and sending her back home to torment me/us.

"Leslie" has always been someone I try to forget about but now it's obviously gone way too far. What do you think I should I do.

Thanks very much for your time.

Default Re: .and then She Burned It Down

Quote Quoting discomfited
    View Post
    I’m sure you’ll get a few comments about your situation, but just for starters, who informed you that she doesn’t have insurance?

Also for starters I would consult with a few attorneys experienced in this type of damage litigation.

Quote Quoting searcher99
    View Post
    I’m sure you’ll get a few comments about your situation, but just for starters, who informed you that she doesn’t have insurance?
    the news story. there's a video of her saying she doesn't have any.

Also for starters I would consult with a few attorneys experienced in this type of damage litigation.
    i thought the same thing, so i registered here. what is expertlaw.com? are there message boards loaded with lawyers to talk to?

i just find it hard to believe that there's nothing i can do, simply because of insurance??

This is a place to discuss general legal information. It is not a lawyer referral service, and reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients. There are a few lawyers who post here, but most are lay people who have knowledge of some form of law through their own jobs or experiences.

You can likely get referrals by contacting your state Bar association, your local Legal Aide, or any law schools in your area. Many law schools will have "clinics" where, for no or a nominal fee, third year law students (under supervision from their professors) gain experience in this way.

View Post
    the news story. there's a video of her saying she doesn't have any.

i thought the same thing, so i registered here. what is expertlaw.com? are there message boards loaded with lawyers to talk to?

i just find it hard to believe that there's nothing i can do, simply because of insurance??
    You can look into your state's victim compensation program and see if there is any assistance for you (I believe you were given those links on another legal forum you posted to). You can also sue her in civil court for your damages, however, given your description of her behaviors it is unlikely she has anything of value to pay any judgment.

View Post
    The state of: MN

I don't even know where to start. This lady has been tormenting me since 2011, and today she burned my apartment. The situation is a 6-plex side by side apartment building with her on the very end, and me the 2nd from the end.

The beginning:
    I got a knock on the door. Police officer. Says the neighbor claims I'm recording her through holes in the walls. He looked around, and then all we could do is share a laugh over how ridiculous that is, then he left. This is how I was introduced to "Leslie" in 2011.

A few weeks/months go by.. another cop knocks and says the neighbor called because she heard a child being sexually abused. Again, complete insanity. That one has always bothered me. That's on record somewhere.

Things started escalating between us. Everything was somehow my fault. I honestly did everything I could to keep quiet and avoid her, but the police were called on regular basis. One of the times they were there she was asked what kind of meds she takes, and as she was listing them off the cop and I looked at each other stunned because it just went on and on and on.

She would randomly pound on the walls & windows at all hours of the day yelling about God knows what. This was an awful way to live for me, every day was a potential 'episode', and I thought it was only a matter of time until she really went crazy on me. Believe it or not I feared for my life, and I hit a point where I *had* to move out in 2014.

In 2015 I had to go to court because she wanted a restraining order against me. Basically claimed everything wrong in her life was my fault (including telling the court I threatened to kill her grandson). Like I said, by this point I had moved out a year earlier. I didn't even live there! The judge literally said "This is the most out of left field case I think I've ever seen." and dismissed it.

I rented the place out, and the new tenant was now her target. She thought he was my son, and put him through the same nonsense she put me through. She broke both my screen doors, smashed a door handle, would peel paint in my entryway, etc etc etc, I could go on all day about how awful it has been to have this lady in my life.

I figured it'd only be a matter of time before Leslie drove my tenant out, and I'd lose my rent income. Well, she did it.. her apartment caught fire today (accidentally) and severely damaged mine. Not only is my tenant homeless, and my rent income is gone, but now my 'nest egg asset' is literally charred. I don't know what to do.

Ultimately, her problem is the pills she takes/forgets to take/combines incorrectly/takes with alcohol, etc... this is what I was told by police countless times, and there's "nothing they can do about it." To me it seems she's basically a lab experiment, or, they just don't care as long as her insurance is paying the bills. I feel like I may have a case against whoever is 'carelessly' prescribing these drugs and sending her back home to torment me/us.

"Leslie" has always been someone I try to forget about but now it's obviously gone way too far. What do you think I should I do.

Thanks very much for your time.
    Why didn't you have insurance? That doesn't make sense. You insure assets for just this reason if nothing else.

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    I believe you were given those links on another legal forum you posted to
    "if the perpetrator is charged with a crime (arson), you MIGHT be able to.."
    There is no "crime" involved. This is just horrendous.

You can also sue her in civil court for your damages, however, given your description of her behaviors it is unlikely she has anything of value to pay any judgment.
    Well she does own the land her burnt apartment is on.. and she has income via SSI I imagine.

Kodi nox

1. Sponsored Links