Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Deed Restriction No Mobile Homes

My question involves real estate located in the State of: WI

I am buying waterfront land and want to purchase a camper with intention of using it for camping occasionally during the summer for a few years until I am able to build a cabin/house. There is no county zoning regulations against using it on my land for recreation as long as I follow the rules of moving it every 180 days and properly disposing of waste.
    but there is a deed restriction from 1989 that states " No Mobile home or Trailer houses may be moved onto the property" I believe that this is to protect against manufactured homes being placed on the property, and am not sure that this would mean a camper cannot be temporarily on the property since it is a recreational vehicle and not necessarily referred to as a mobile home.

#1 - what is your opinion is a camper a "mobile home or trailer house"
    #2 -what is my liability. the warranty deed does not mention a governing 3rd party. would I just be asked to move the travel trailer, or could I be liable for some damages of some sort for legal fees, etc.?

Default Re: Deed Restriction No Mobile Homes

Quote Quoting shiloh2525
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: WI

I am buying waterfront land and want to purchase a camper with intention of using it for camping occasionally during the summer for a few years until I am able to build a cabin/house. There is no county zoning regulations against using it on my land for recreation as long as I follow the rules of moving it every 180 days and properly disposing of waste.
    but there is a deed restriction from 1989 that states " No Mobile home or Trailer houses may be moved onto the property" I believe that this is to protect against manufactured homes being placed on the property, and am not sure that this would mean a camper cannot be temporarily on the property since it is a recreational vehicle and not necessarily referred to as a mobile home.

#2 -what is my liability. the warranty deed does not mention a governing 3rd party. would I just be asked to move the travel trailer, or could I be liable for some damages of some sort for legal fees, etc.?

#1 Yes, I would consider a camper a "mobile home or trailer house". But my opinion doesn't matter at all. Only your neighbors' and future neighbors' and the court they may sue you in opinions matter.

#2 You might be lucky and be simply asked to move it before someone sues you because their $500K house was turned into a $250K house because you violated the deed restriction.

You really should consider buying in a more camper friendly area.

What do you mean by camper?

There's this:

There's this:

There's this:

Then you have to determine what the deed restrictions define as mobile home and house trailer.

This is what is known these days as a mobile home, manufactured home or trailer house:

What, exactly, are you planning to bring to the property to live in?

Obviously, if you are asked to move it and you move it there are no more issues, unless you bring it back. OTOH, you can also be sued by a neighbor to enforce the deed restrictions.

Post Re: Deed Restriction No Mobile Homes

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    #1 Yes, I would consider a camper a "mobile home or trailer house". But my opinion doesn't matter at all. Only your neighbors' and future neighbors' and the court they may sue you in opinions matter.

#2 You might be lucky and be simply asked to move it before someone sues you because their $500K house was turned into a $250K house because you violated the deed restriction.

You really should consider buying in a more camper friendly area.

Well that's the thing, 4 lots down, there's a motor home. maybe it is a camper friendly area just not a manufactured home area... with that verbiage, it's hard to know.

Quote Quoting shiloh2525
    View Post
    When I do a Google image search for "camper," this is the sort of thing that comes up:

When I search for "mobile home" or "trailer house," this is the sort of thing that comes up:

Obviously, these are very different things. A "camper" is typically something that can be easily moved (either by itself or by hitching it to a vehicle) with little or no cost. Despite the name, a "mobile home" is not readily mobile, and moving it is fairly expensive.

Quote Quoting shiloh2525
    View Post
    what is my liability. the warranty deed does not mention a governing 3rd party. would I just be asked to move the travel trailer, or could I be liable for some damages of some sort for legal fees, etc.?
    One would need to read the deed and any other relevant documents. However, unless you damage someone else's property, I can't see any way you'd have monetary liability, so an injunction (i.e., court order requiring you to remove the thing) would be the only likely result of a violation. The bigger question is who is entitled to enforce the restriction, and that's something we have no way of answering. I would suggest you start by speaking with owners of neighboring property or, if there is one, someone with the HOA. You should also look at the title insurance policy you may have gotten when you bought the property. You can, of course, get the best response by consulting with a local attorney.

Quote Quoting shiloh2525
    View Post
    Well that's the thing, 4 lots down, there's a motor home. maybe it is a camper friendly area just not a manufactured home area... with that verbiage, it's hard to know.
    A "motor home" is typically regarded as a different thing than a "mobile home." While you responded to "PayrolGuy," you ignored "adjusterjack's" response for some reason.

Motor home? A self propelled motor vehicle that has living quarters? That's not what the deed restrictions are talking about.

I'm pretty sure that the deed restrictions are referring to units that can be left unattended on the property.

If you drive it or haul it and remove it after your temporary stay, I don't think you'll be in violation of the deed restrictions.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    A "motor home" is typically regarded as a different thing than a "mobile home."
    They are not "typically regarded as different." They ARE different!

We were looking at the third one. a large 30ft camper trailer.

I actually thought i had replied. still learning to navigate this board.

I've been looking for a plot of land to do the same and found several townships in NY don't even allow for a camper/trailer to be parked on private land for use (parked for storage is different).

Quote Quoting shiloh2525
    View Post
    We were looking at the third one. a large 30ft camper trailer.
    My guess it that you would probably be OK with that for a week or two at a time, maybe a month and then take it away. As long as you don't tick off any neighbors while you are there.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast