Default Ein, Workshops and Covid-19 Mask Liability

My question involves business law in the state of: Illinois, Will County, 60410.

I have a friend who is holding real estate workshops in a commercial building he's renting for 100+ people. The question of masks came up, where he says he's a sole proprietor with an EIN and no business license, therefore he doesn't have to enforce mask wearing in his workshop since he's not a regulated business. I'm trying to make sure he doesn't get in trouble if that's not the case and he gets sued for not requiring masks.

In Will County, either in incorporated or unincorporated areas, are workshops subject to IL mask regulations and the Governor's order, either at the sole proprietor level or at the commercial building level?

Also, does he need a business license to charge money to hold workshops?

Default Re: Ein, Workshops and Covid-19 Mask Liability

What the hell does an EIN have to do with anything? That's just a number issued by the IRS when necessary to track tax items. It has no bearing on anything.

The governor's order doesn't say anything about whether you have a business license or what sort of entity you're running.

Unless he's in Clay County, where a local judge has struck down the emergency order, it's in force (and survived some attempts to stomp on it in federal court), as long as he's not maintaining social distancing in his audience, they needs to have them wear masks. I'm not sure the executive order holds the business responsible for enforcing that on the audience, however. His own employees (if any) he must.

I don't think a "business license" is necessary to hold seminars.

Quote Quoting Fogyreef
    View Post
    My question involves business law in the state of: Illinois, Will County, 60410.

I have a friend who is holding real estate workshops in a commercial building he's renting for 100+ people.

Also, does he need a business license to charge money to hold workshops?
    If this is an ongoing business it may trigger the need for a business license.

There's no requirement for a business license for that sort of business, one class or a million. There's only a handful of categories that require licensure. There's not even sales tax on this (unless he's selling books or something to go with it).

1. Sponsored Links