Default Uncle Died in 2019 - Can't Confirm if He Filed His Taxes Since 2011 - What Do We Do

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: IL

We did file his 2019 taxes, but in terms of going backwards we don't know if he filed past taxes or not.

Granted, we also didn't find any correspondence from the IRS stating that he didn't file, or that they were going to garish his SSA or Pension, but we truly don't know if he filed or not and don't want to be surprised by the IRS / State of IL looking for past taxes if we just let this drift.

Plus, if he didn't file, we certainly don't have all his records (income, rental property income/expenses, property tax, etc) to be able to recreate his taxes.

It's an ugly mess and I'm hoping I can get some input on the subject. Thanks.

TJ

Default Re: Uncle Died in 2019 - Can't Confirm if He Filed His Taxes Since 2011 - What Do We

On what authority are you doing any of this? Has the estate been probated? Are you the appointed executor?

Default Re: Uncle Died in 2019 - Can't Confirm if He Filed His Taxes Since 2011 - What Do We

Quote Quoting TJ6
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: IL

We did file his 2019 taxes, but in terms of going backwards we don't know if he filed past taxes or not.

Granted, we also didn't find any correspondence from the IRS stating that he didn't file, or that they were going to garish his SSA or Pension, but we truly don't know if he filed or not and don't want to be surprised by the IRS / State of IL looking for past taxes if we just let this drift.

Plus, if he didn't file, we certainly don't have all his records (income, rental property income/expenses, property tax, etc) to be able to recreate his taxes.

It's an ugly mess and I'm hoping I can get some input on the subject. Thanks.

TJ
    Why do you think that its possible that he has not been filing his tax returns in the past? Is it simply a lack of documentation or is there some other reason?

Quote Quoting TJ6
    View Post

It's an ugly mess and I'm hoping I can get some input on the subject.
    The court appointed representative of the estate would have the authority to request the past returns from the IRS.

Are you that representative? If not, then the representative of the estate is the one who should be taking care of all this.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    On what authority are you doing any of this? Has the estate been probated? Are you the appointed executor?
    And, if you are the court-appointed executor, are you represented by counsel?

1. Sponsored Links