Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Can You Be Pulled Over for Going 1 Mile Over

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Yes, I am reading more into it and filling in more blanks than you because not all details can be, or are willingly, provided here. It makes no sense to want to drive a car, as the OP's boyfriend does, and not just go down and get the license. IMO, there is a reason he does not have a license.
    There is certainly a reason why he doesn't have one. But we don't know the reason and, importantly, we have no information to suggest he ever had one or that he's currently on probation. Guess all you want, but IMO making guesses based on nothing is a waste of time.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    As for licenses obtained at age 16, it is still very fresh in my experience having three boys 16, 28 and 29. Every single one of their friends clamored to get their licenses at 16. Not a single one willingly waited till some arbitrary age of 18 to get it. But I guess it is natural to get one's information from the internet when you don't have actual experience to fall back on. Heck, even when I was young, not a single person I knew waited until age 18.
    However, your experience and that of the 100 or so teens you say you know about over the decades amounts to a very, very small percentage of the many millions of teens that have been around in that period. It is also not a representative sample from across the U.S. How fast kids go out to get a license varies from one locality to another. When I was a kid living in a rural area most kids did get their licenses at 16 out of necessity. There was no other way to really get around. You either drove yourself or someone else drove you. But in large cities with good public transportation systems and other alternatives today there is less real need to have a car and have a driver's license. Thus because circumstances vary from one part of the country to another taking what happens just in the few areas you know about would give you skewed data that does not represent the country as a whole. That is why a good statistical study, like the ones referred to by the WSJ, PBS, and others are IMO much more reliable than your or my limited personal experiences on the matter. But I'm not surprised that when a news outlet publishes something you don't agree with your solution is to trash the media rather than consider that maybe there is something going on that you weren't aware of.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    There is certainly a reason why he doesn't have one. But we don't know the reason and, importantly, we have no information to suggest he ever had one or that he's currently on probation. Guess all you want, but IMO making guesses based on nothing is a waste of time.

However, your experience and that of the 100 or so teens you say you know about over the decades amounts to a very, very small percentage of the many millions of teens that have been around in that period. It is also not a representative sample from across the U.S. How fast kids go out to get a license varies from one locality to another. When I was a kid living in a rural area most kids did get their licenses at 16 out of necessity. There was no other way to really get around. You either drove yourself or someone else drove you. But in large cities with good public transportation systems and other alternatives today there is less real need to have a car and have a driver's license. Thus because circumstances vary from one part of the country to another taking what happens just in the few areas you know about would give you skewed data that does not represent the country as a whole. That is why a good statistical study, like the ones referred to by the WSJ, PBS, and others are IMO much more reliable than your or my limited personal experiences on the matter. But I'm not surprised that when a news outlet publishes something you don't agree with your solution is to trash the media rather than consider that maybe there is something going on that you weren't aware of.
    You are right, I don't just believe studies or our god forsaken, agenda driven media.

As for studies, a short story: My City just redrew the white lines on a road near my house which allowed for bike lanes. These lines eliminated a traffic lane, endangered the motorists, the people exiting their cars into traffic and endangered the cyclists. An avid cyclist customer of mine attended a City Council Meeting and asked a councilman if they spoke to cyclists before making those permanent changes to the road? The councilman said "we did a study." She said "I did not ask if you did a study, I asked if you spoke to actual cyclists first?" He said "no." So there is another flim-flam study for you.

"Studies" are for large part telling people that don't know jack about something what you want them to believe. So, you can believe on about 16 year olds now not wanting their driver's license. My opinion is that stats are down because most inner city kids can't read or pass the written test. The same reason most construction workers are not licensed contractors...they can't pass the tests. Same reason our education system is said to be lousy...because the kids don't care about education because the parents cant read, write or help their kids with their schoolwork. So they flunk out and blame it on the schools. All because it is politically incorrect to blame it on the parents.

So go on and believe your studies. Looking to prove people wrong must be a natural pastime for lawyers. Being paid to vehemently argue either side of an issue must be confusing to one's integrity.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You are right, I don't just believe studies or our god forsaken, agenda driven media.
    That confirms what I thought.

You see, Tax, only Harold's experiences are valid. Anyone who has experienced something different is wrong. Not only wrong but probably lying, and unless it's favorable to the poster, most likely fear-mongering. No one but Harold is allowed to have a valid experience.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You see, Tax, only Harold's experiences are valid. Anyone who has experienced something different is wrong. Not only wrong but probably lying, and unless it's favorable to the poster, most likely fear-mongering. No one but Harold is allowed to have a valid experience.
    If you have contrary experiences in a courtroom or with 16 year olds, by all means share them. Just don't tell me about some bs study that you google searched.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    That confirms what I thought.
    Also, as a lawyer, if you cannot see through our media, you are not a very astute lawyer.

But the people in the study had experiences too.

Understand, Harold, I do not accept all studies blindly. My husband is a statistician (among other things) and I am well aware that you can make numbers say anything you want them to say. But I do not dismiss them out of hand simply because the word, "study" can be applied to it. Why do you?

Again Harold, what do you think the media, or anyone for that matter, would have to gain by disseminating that fewer 16-year-olds were getting licenses.

And as both CBG and TM will tell you I often question the media.

Here's a couple of examples for you.

My coworker's now 20-year-old daughter has yet to get her license.
    My neighbor's son 17-year-old son hasn't gotten his license and has expressed a no desire to get it.

Thank goodness we have another thread where folks get into pointless back-and-forth with the resident troll. What's the over-under on how many pages before y'all get bored wasting time with this?

It's what happens on an unmodded forum.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Thank goodness we have another thread where folks get into pointless back-and-forth with the resident troll. What's the over-under on how many pages before y'all get bored wasting time with this?
    Thanks for the reality check, pg1067. Sometimes you can get pulled in without realizing it's happening. Sort of like watching a train wreck.

*slaps own wrist

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast