Default Rv Fire, Florida, 14 Months Later Got Bill from Dbi Services for 1,500 for Cleanup

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: FLORIDA

RV caught fire 3-31-2019 on Federal Freeway in Florida. I live in Ohio. On 7-2-2020 I got bill from DBI Services from Hazelton Pa for services rendered (1,500.00) Included traffic truck and person. Clean up of debris, Clean up of RV ash remains, planting grass, safety inspection of berm. (road?) 1. Who are these people. 2. I did not request any services from them. 3. did not request traffic safety truck and personnel. ----- and the bill came 15 months after RV fire. They sent a PRE-SUIT DEMAND LETTER. No way to determine what services - if any were actually done. - Who is this company? Do they have authorization to bill for various accident services I did not request. How do I respond to them? Thanks for any responses

Default Re: Rv Fire, Florida, 14 Months Later Got Bill from Dbi Services for 1,500 for Cleanu

You should send it to your insurance company. DBI is a company that provides various maintenance services to private companies and government. They indeed have contracts in Florida for maintaining roads and providing emergency services. Many municipal governments have found they can save money by bilking insurance companies for anything from road cleanup (which sounds pretty substantial here. You didn't think you were going to be allowed to just abandon your hulk at the side of the road? You were certainly going to be billed for towing/disposal) to ambulance services.

I can't say what they'll do if you don't have insurance coverage. Often they tend to back off if there's not an easy way to get the funds.

Default Re: Rv Fire, Florida, 14 Months Later Got Bill from Dbi Services for 1,500 for Cleanu

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post
    Who is this company? Do they have authorization to bill for various accident services I did not request. How do I respond to them? Thanks for any responses
    You'd need to contact the company find out who hired them and under what authority that person has to seek these fees from you. Understand, though, that damages caused by the fire may be your responsibility if you were the one at fault for the fire.

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post

RV caught fire 3-31-2019 on Federal Freeway in Florida. I live in Ohio. On 7-2-2020 I got bill from DBI Services from Hazelton Pa for services rendered (1,500.00) Included traffic truck and person. Clean up of debris, Clean up of RV ash remains, planting grass, safety inspection of berm. (road?) 1. Who are these people. 2. I did not request any services from them. 3. did not request traffic safety truck and personnel. -----
    You didn't have to request it. It's like if your car got wrecked and the police had it towed. You pay for the towing and storage, or your insurance company would. If you were knocked unconscious and taken by ambulance to the hospital you pay for the ambulance even though you didn't request it.

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post
    No way to determine what services - if any were actually done. How do I respond to them?
    Sure there is. You call up and you ask them to email you an itemized statement. You can bet that the services were performed because your burned up RV wasn't just going to be left there.

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post
    Who are these people.
    I don't know. You can google the name as well as anyone here. You can also call the phone number that is undoubtedly on the bill you received.

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post
    I did not request any services from them.
    I'm sure you didn't, but can you reasonably argue that the services described were not necessary because of your RV fire?

Quote Quoting wtraqvlr1
    View Post
    How do I respond to them?
    You either pay the bill or you dispute it and potentially get sued.

What you SHOULD do is turn it over to your insurance company that provided coverage on your RV. The demand likely falls within the scope of your coverage.

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Resolve: Progressive Ins. is fighting the collection as it is not considered a "at fault" accident. They are taking the lead. DBI tries to collect money anyway they can. DBI just keep sending me letters demanding payment, even tho I have sent them insurance info as request (with return receipt) and Progressive has call and emailed them that they are going to handle it, and I am not to pay DBI anything. DBI however it seems wants to send me these "attempt to collect" letters even though both Progressive and I have answered all their correspondence in the correct time frame. I think some people just give up and pay and it's easy money for them. Can they do anything to my credit rating or driver's licence ? Vehicle fire was in Florida and I vehicle and my licence are Ohio. Thanks in advance.

1. Sponsored Links