Hybrid View

Exclamation Whether I Should Hire a Lawyer

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of Virginia :
    Business : Jeep Dealership in fairfax Vriginia

I brought my Jeep Grand Cherokee for diagnose to check why the AC was making hissing noise and doesn't blow cold air. The car was diagnosed and I received a quote after about 4 hours of dropping it off that said "Problem has been identified that the AC condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced ( I still have a copy of the diagnostic report ) . I wasn't planning to get it fixed their but after negotiation with the service guy he agreed to match the average price for replacing condenser in the area.

Even though this is a lot of money for me considering I'm still a fresh graduate and don't make a lot of money. The next morning I get a call that after fixing my condenser they realized my Compressor is not working and that it will cost me another $1000 to fix .
    After talking to service center manager he did not take any responsibility that they misdiagnosed my car and he said that there is no way to know if compressor needed to be replaced since car ran out of Freon gas. The service department manager was very rude to me after I asked if I don’t want the condenser and I would pay you for the diagnose fee only. He gave me two options to either pay total of $1800 to finish up your car or come pick it up and pay the $800.

I was very nice and calm talking to these guys but I was so miserable because I don't have that kind of money to fix it especially during this pandemic. Ended up paying for condenser and labor with some discount, now I'm out $679 and my AC still doesn't work all because these people misdiagnosed my car.
    These people tried to scam and did not tell me about my faulty compressor in the diagnose which according to any AC mechanic shop should be the first thing to be checked when diagnosing and there are multiple ways to do it .

I requested a dispute through the credit card of the amount of money I paid to replace the condenser. But after several months the dispute was declined because the merchant refused to take any responsibility and the people working on my case they are not mechanics and they said I received service and paid for it.

Why am I responsible to pay for a service that did not fix the AC issue in my vehicle,I only have diagnostic report which does not mention anything about compressor being broken, it say the problem has been identified as leaking condenser only.

If things were normal and we didn’t have this pandemic I would go talk to the manager face to face and complain since he tried to avoid communicating with me over the phone after his first call. But at that time things were not safe for me to make the trip and risk my life to get infected by this virus.

Can I hire a lawyer to work on this case ? do I have a chance to win ?

Default Re: Whether I Should Hire a Lawyer

Quote Quoting firask21
    View Post

I brought my Jeep Grand Cherokee for diagnose to check why the AC was making hissing noise and doesn't blow cold air. The car was diagnosed and I received a quote after about 4 hours of dropping it off that said "Problem has been identified that the AC condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced ( I still have a copy of the diagnostic report ) . I wasn't planning to get it fixed their but after negotiation with the service guy he agreed to match the average price for replacing condenser in the area.

Even though this is a lot of money for me considering I'm still a fresh graduate and don't make a lot of money. The next morning I get a call that after fixing my condenser they realized my Compressor is not working and that it will cost me another $1000 to fix .
    After talking to service center manager he did not take any responsibility that they misdiagnosed my car and he said that there is no way to know if compressor needed to be replaced since car ran out of Freon gas. The service department manager was very rude to me after I asked if I don’t want the condenser and I would pay you for the diagnose fee only. He gave me two options to either pay total of $1800 to finish up your car or come pick it up and pay the $800.

I was very nice and calm talking to these guys but I was so miserable because I don't have that kind of money to fix it especially during this pandemic. Ended up paying for condenser and labor with some discount, now I'm out $679 and my AC still doesn't work all because these people misdiagnosed my car.
    These people tried to scam and did not tell me about my faulty compressor in the diagnose which according to any AC mechanic shop should be the first thing to be checked when diagnosing and there are multiple ways to do it .

I requested a dispute through the credit card of the amount of money I paid to replace the condenser. But after several months the dispute was declined because the merchant refused to take any responsibility and the people working on my case they are not mechanics and they said I received service and paid for it.

Why am I responsible to pay for a service that did not fix the AC issue in my vehicle,I only have diagnostic report which does not mention anything about compressor being broken, it say the problem has been identified as leaking condenser only.

If things were normal and we didn’t have this pandemic I would go talk to the manager face to face and complain since he tried to avoid communicating with me over the phone after his first call. But at that time things were not safe for me to make the trip and risk my life to get infected by this virus.

How are you only out $679 if your two options were pay $1800 or $800?

A lawyer will cost you way more than $1800 and while you may get some of your $679 back you will still have no AC. You could of course sue in small claims and maybe get all or part of your $679 back but, again, you will still not have an AC.

I can't tell from your post do you think the part that they did replace and charge you for was actually broken.

My mistake I forgot to mention that they did eventually give me some discount on the service after several hours of talking on the phone so it ended up being $679 after taxes.

So my issue is they misdiagnosed my car and I was convinced the AC would work after replacing condenser only. I could have paid a lot less fixing it somewhere else if I knew that both the condenser and compressor needed to be replaced. If they let me know in the beginning that both parts needs to be replaced I would have paid for the diagnostic fee only and take my car to a regular mechanic shop that doesn't charge outrageous prices for AC service

Mark,

My English isn't perfect so thank you for making fun of that fact. I am here to ask for advice because after talking to other mechanic shops they told me the compressor should have been tested since I brought the car specifically to check my AC system.

Quote Quoting firask21
    View Post
    My mistake I forgot to mention that they did eventually give me some discount on the service after several hours of talking on the phone so it ended up being $679 after taxes.

So my issue is they misdiagnosed my car and I was convinced the AC would work after replacing condenser only. I could have paid a lot less fixing it somewhere else if I knew that both the condenser and compressor needed to be replaced. If they let me know in the beginning that both parts needs to be replaced I would have paid for the diagnostic fee only and take my car to a regular mechanic shop that doesn't charge outrageous prices for AC service
    As mentioned there is no liability for a misdiagnosis in a case like this. I also wonder why you think it would have been cheaper to have both done somewhere else?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    As mentioned there is no liability for a misdiagnosis in a case like this. I also wonder why you think it would have been cheaper to have both done somewhere else?
    Maybe because its almost always cheaper to get a car fixed anyplace but the car dealer?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Maybe because its almost always cheaper to get a car fixed anyplace but the car dealer?
    Then he should have gone to a non-dealer shop in the first place.

Yes I figured if I don't get the condenser fixed at the dealership I will lose $145 ( Car diagnose Fee ) . The service guy was like If you fix it here we will only charge your for parts and labor and after negotiations I agreed to pay $800. I just wanted to get it done and don't go through the hassle to find another shop and waste my time and risk my life in this pandemic.

Then the next morning they called to let me know I have to fix the compressor and my total will be $1800.

It's just not fair , I am certain they were aware that my compressor was bad , they just didn't want to tell me until I agree to fix the condenser and have the work done.
    I just recently fixed the compressor and ended up paying $300 for labor + part at local mechanic shop, I should've just went there in the first place.

Anyways, Thank you for your help everyone and sorry if my post wasn't clear enough.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting firask21
    View Post

There is no legal liability for an incomplete diagnosis on a car. You disputing the charge was also unreasonable since you did receive the service/goods whether or not you like it.

You are responsible for paying for the services that you consume. Talking to the manager face to face wouldn't change that.

So, you can certainly consult with an attorney but it'll get you nothing. You requested a diagnostic and you received one. You had a faulty condenser and you accepted the replacement. They owe you nothing missing the compressor in the initial diagnosis and you can take your care elsewhere or just, you know, roll down the windows and build some character.

I have to say, you sound a bit like a male version of Karen.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I know I am late on this since the Service and Repair subsection of the Cars and Dealerships section is my favorite and I have years of automotive technology experience, but I am going to ask some questions and make some statements to clarify.

What is meant by "AC compressor not working"? Is this as in "AC compressor is not getting power" or in "AC compressor is not blowing cold air"? How was your AC compressor misdiagnosed? May you give one way on how your AC compressor should be diagnosed? Just because the new/replacement part you choose to use for the repair does not fix the problem, that does not always mean the diagnosis is at fault. This issue is similar to an alternator replacement job in which its voltage regulator or diode is faulty and diagnosed as such, either of the two gets replaced, but the alternator does not function as it should. Unless the dealership offered a warranty for the part you agreed to use for the repair and for the agreed labor, then you don't have a big case.

As PayrolGuy has informed you, the average cost for a tort lawyer for this matter is more than the $679 you paid to have the new/replacement AC condenser installed. Of course, you can hire a lawyer to represent you in small claims court and win or win without one, but IF you win, then you will get up to $679 with no injunction to have your AC compressor replaced.

It is either get the AC compressor repaired or replaced or take you car and ride with the windows down until you can have your AC compressor repaired or replaced.
    "If it's too good to be true, then it most likely is."

Do not put spam in your signature.

1. Sponsored Links