Default Property Line

My question involves personal property located in the State of: West Virginia This is my first forum post so I may be posting to the wrong section. My back neighbors recently had their land surveyed and their line comes down 20 feet from what I thought. So my question is does my property line begin at the center of the road or at my iron pin? I own 199 feet and have always marked it from my pin but the surveyor said no.

Default Re: Property Line

Quote Quoting Footballislife06
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: West Virginia This is my first forum post so I may be posting to the wrong section. My back neighbors recently had their land surveyed and their line comes down 20 feet from what I thought. So my question is does my property line begin at the center of the road or at my iron pin? I own 199 feet and have always marked it from my pin but the surveyor said no.

You were so close. It should have been here https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=204 personal property is stuff like your car or your shoe, but don't worry about moving it.

Without knowing the legal description of your land and likely lots more details there is no way to answer you. Who put that iron pin in?

I'm unclear on how the neighbors land (and their pin), the road, and your pin are all lined up

View Post
    It could be either from the centerline of the road or from the pin. Without looking at a copy of your survey there is no way for us to answer that question.

If it is measured form the centerline of the road, the distance from the centerline to the pin would represent an easement on your property for the Right of Way (the road)

Do you have a copy of your survey?.

Twenty feet is a sizeable chunk of real estate so please DO NOT take your neighbor's survey for granted! Why not?

Because there are a number of legally recognized circumstances and conditions that can play in establishing the demarcation line separating adjoining tracts of real property that is legally binding on the respective owners. And often that line is at variance with deed descriptions; deed descriptions that were undoubtedly the basis for the surveyor's fieldwork.

When I say circumstances and conditions I mean matters such as history of usage, physical markings (manmade and natural) mutual acknowledgements with regard to the line (past and current owners), etc., etc., none of which a survey can take into account and none that can be vetted here.

So, unless you want to concede and cede unto your neighbor the twenty feet then its time to spend some money with an attorney.

View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: West Virginia
    Your question involves real property, not personal property.

View Post
    does my property line begin at the center of the road or at my iron pin?
    You don't seriously expect anyone here to know anything about your property lines, do you?

You don't seriously expect anyone here to know anything about your property lines, do you?
    I might with a bit more information. Spent years surveying boundaries in West Virginia. What I would need to know:

The full unredacted property description. PM it to me with the messaging function if you don't want to post it in public (best option).

That could be a start.
    Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current.

1. Sponsored Links