Default Border Fence Fix Agreement

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California.

Does border fence fix agreement between 2 parties (neighbor and myself) need to be notarized for it to be binding?
    The neighbor is currently out of country and he's willing to sign an agreement that I have created, with both parties
    splitting 50/50 in cost of fixing the fence.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Border Fence Fix Agreement

In general, a contract does not need to be notarized to be binding on the parties.
    Notarization only accomplishes one thing -- it substantiates that the person who signs really is who he/she claims to be. That the 'John Smith' who signed the document really is John Smith.

Quote Quoting Norm2101
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California.

Does border fence fix agreement between 2 parties (neighbor and myself) need to be notarized for it to be binding?
    Doesn't have to be notarized. Doesn't even matter if it's in writing or not. He can renege once the work's done and then what do you do?

Here's a better idea. Take photos. Get three repair estimates. Let him choose the fence company and have him send you his half of the money so you can pay for the repairs when done instead of chasing him down for the money afterward.

Having him send you an actual dollar amount is your best protection.

Quote Quoting Norm2101
    View Post
    No.

My original offer was met with the other party stating that he can fix the fence for $800 (my part). So, I agreed and messaged him that all posts, railings and pickets are to be replaced
    along with debris and all labor. Owner replied back few days later stating they couldn't work on the fence due to his work schedule, and that they would
    pay $800 afterwards. I agreed and will write an agreement document for them to sign.

Quote Quoting Norm2101
    View Post
    My original offer was met with the other party stating that he can fix the fence for $800 (my part). So, I agreed and messaged him that all posts, railings and pickets are to be replaced
    along with debris and all labor. Owner replied back few days later stating they couldn't work on the fence due to his work schedule, and that they would
    pay $800 afterwards. I agreed and will write an agreement document for them to sign.
    So you haven't even gotten a quote for the $1600.00 total price?

Quote Quoting Norm2101
    View Post
    Sorry, but I smell a rat. I hope I'm wrong but I think you'll have trouble getting your money from the neighbor after the repairs are done no matter what he signs.

You might end up in court over it.

1. Sponsored Links