Default Patient Representative / Medical Surrogate: Legal Protections

My question involves a person located in the state of: Florida

My brother was admitted to the hospital and is in the ICU. I have a Protection Order against him due to a history of hostility and physical/psychological abuse against the family. I was called and asked to be his Patient Representative / Medical Surrogate as the one other person on his list of contacts has declined to help.

My fear is if there is any way for him or the hospital to legal come after me when he's discharged. The primary fears are:

1) I'm not sure if he's employed and/or has insurance. Can the hospital come after me for payment if I authorized procedures on his behalf?

2) Can my brother come after me by saying he didn't want certain procedures performed which I authorized (my brother is has threatened to 'come after me' in the past)?

Please advise and thanks.

Default Re: Patient Representative / Medical Surrogate: Legal Protections

Quote Quoting gorilla1969
    View Post
    My question involves a person located in the state of: Florida

My brother was admitted to the hospital and is in the ICU. I have a Protection Order against him due to a history of hostility and physical/psychological abuse against the family. I was called and asked to be his Patient Representative / Medical Surrogate as the one other person on his list of contacts has declined to help.

My fear is if there is any way for him or the hospital to legal come after me when he's discharged. The primary fears are:

1) I'm not sure if he's employed and/or has insurance. Can the hospital come after me for payment if I authorized procedures on his behalf?

2) Can my brother come after me by saying he didn't want certain procedures performed which I authorized (my brother is has threatened to 'come after me' in the past)?

Please advise and thanks.
    You should probably decline to serve as his patient representative as well due to the protection order. You can explain that to the hospital.

1. Sponsored Links