Default Some Clarification on Filing for Bankruptcy

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: Virginia.

I currently owe Social Security about 33k after they screwed up my case horribly. I also owe about 12k in credit card debt due to being hospitalized for an NGRI offense.

I just got off the phone with my local lawyer through legal aide society. They said there's not much they can do for one of the credit cards since they have also got a judgement against me.

They also said unless social security has ruled that Im not at fault for the overpayment they can't do too much about that either.

My aunt is my power of attorney and says that doesnt sound right to her. (She's filed for bankruptcy before)

Is the lawyer correct in what he is telling me or is my aunt correct?

Just got off the phone with another lawyer. The first one is correct.

Default Re: Some Clarification on Filing for Bankruptcy

Quote Quoting Hemispheres
    View Post
    I also owe about 12k in credit card debt due to being hospitalized for an NGRI offense.
    Please explain what the acronym "NGRI" means.

View Post
    I just got off the phone with my local lawyer through legal aide society. They said there's not much they can do for one of the credit cards since they have also got a judgement against me.
    That doesn't make any sense. A judgment based on a credit card debt is just as dischargeable in bankruptcy as is a credit card debt that hasn't yet turned into a judgment. While a judgment may allow the creditor to secure a lien (thereby giving the creditor a secured claim as opposed to an unsecured claim), whether that's of any value depends on what property is secured by the judgment lien.

View Post
    My aunt is my power of attorney and says that doesnt sound right to her. (She's filed for bankruptcy before)
    FYI, a power of attorney ("POA") is a document, so your aunt is not "[your] power of attorney" (since a human being cannot be a document). A POA is a document by which one person (the principal) gives another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) authority to deal on the principal's behalf with third persons. A POA may be very broad or very limited. With that said, and while I'm not sure it's relevant, what authority did you confer on your aunt by way of a POA?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Please explain what the acronym "NGRI" means.
    I think it likely that it means "not guilty by reason of insanity". If I am correct, then it appears the OP had medical bills that he/she put on his/her credit card relating to the treatment for the mental condition related to the charged offense.

View Post

Is the lawyer correct in what he is telling me or is my aunt correct?

Just got off the phone with another lawyer. The first one is correct.
    If those weren't bankruptcy lawyers then I suggest you find a bankruptcy lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links