Default Landlord Refuses to Fix Phone Jack in Wall (Portland, Or)

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Oregon (portland to be specific)

The phone jack in my apartment is loose and I can tell the wiring is not connecting properly. It was there when i moved in. Ive contacted my internet provider ( I use the phone jack solely for internet use) who responded that they are responsible for wiring outside the apartment, but wiring inside the walls is the responsibility of the homeowner. Online research does not tell me specifically that the landlord is responsible for providing a phone jack, But I'm reading vague guidelines that they are responsible for wiring and the upkeep of amenities in the home. I had contacted my landlord through email in which i got a blunt one liner of that is not our responsibility. I asked for an explanation as to why with no response. I'm having two different parties not claiming responsibility and telling to look to the other for guidance. I tried to get into contact with OSB (oregon state bar) but with Covid they don't have any employees to answer the phone. I'm very frustrated, access to internet is important for not only entertainment but for work. I would have to change my internet provider or pay for my own technician.

I need clarification of the law before pursuing any action.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Landlord Refuses to Fix Phone Jack in Wall (Portland, Or)

Quote Quoting hopingimright
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Oregon (portland to be specific)

The phone jack in my apartment is loose and I can tell the wiring is not connecting properly. It was there when i moved in. Ive contacted my internet provider ( I use the phone jack solely for internet use) who responded that they are responsible for wiring outside the apartment, but wiring inside the walls is the responsibility of the homeowner. Online research does not tell me specifically that the landlord is responsible for providing a phone jack, But I'm reading vague guidelines that they are responsible for wiring and the upkeep of amenities in the home. I had contacted my landlord through email in which i got a blunt one liner of that is not our responsibility. I asked for an explanation as to why with no response. I'm having two different parties not claiming responsibility and telling to look to the other for guidance. I tried to get into contact with OSB (oregon state bar) but with Covid they don't have any employees to answer the phone. I'm very frustrated, access to internet is important for not only entertainment but for work. I would have to change my internet provider or pay for my own technician.

I need clarification of the law before pursuing any action.
    Fix it yourself and save yourself a lot of headache. There are specific things that a LL needs to ensure are available and phone/internet is not one of them unless it's spelled out in your lease agreement..
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: Landlord Refuses to Fix Phone Jack in Wall (Portland, Or)

View Post

The phone jack in my apartment is loose
    Probably because it was screwed into drywall. Easy fix with a couple of plastic screw anchors.

View Post

I can tell the wiring is not connecting properly.
    If you know enough to tell that it's not connected properly you should know enough to connect it properly. It's low voltage. You won't get a shock by connecting the wires.

View Post

I use the phone jack solely for internet use
    "Use" it or "used" it. If it's still working then it's wired properly.

View Post

I would have to change my internet provider or pay for my own technician.
    No you don't.

Here's a photo of the outlet wiring. Just match up the colors and you're done.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....JPG&f=1&nofb=1

No need to make a federal case out of it.

1. Sponsored Links