Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What Are My Right Can I Sue the Emploter

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    There's no certification or other requirements at calling yourself a "software engineer."
    When employers call software engineers "software engineers" it's almost always because they actually are software engineers. Software engineers are senior-level IT professionals. Senior-level IT professionals are exempt from OT pay. The IT workers who are not exempt from OT pay are usually called things like "help desk" or "installers" etc. Employers almost never (and more likely never) call help desk workers and installers "software engineers." It would be akin to calling a file clerk a "records manager" or an accounting clerk an "accounting manager." Not done, or if done, very seldom.

(I have decades' worth of experience providing HR services and support to employers in the IT industry. I have great working knowledge of the titling habits of IT employers, so that's where I'm coming from with this. )

Software engineering does not imply "senior level" everything. I've been in the industry for forty years. The term is largely without meaning. My first summer job in college was termed such.

Thanks everyone for replying to my questions.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources