Default Tester Cologne Bottles

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA: My good friendís ex girlfriend used to worked for Macyís loss prevention around 2011 and told us that because the sample or tester cologne bottles have no resale value that their employees are told not to stop someone if they take the sample bottle does anybody know if that is still true currently?

Default Re: Tester Cologne Bottles

The sole reason the tester sample bottles are there on the fragrance counter is so that people can just take them away with them. They are considered to be "free stuff" - so of course LP isn't going to hound/arrest people for taking them. This goes for any store, not just Macy's.

(This would be like LP arresting people for eating the free food samples offered to them in grocery stores. Not gonna happen!)

Of course if someone took an entire basket of tester sample bottles and ran off with them, maybe LP might have a case for chasing them down...but is your good friend planning to do this?

No, the reason the bottles are there is so you can try them in the store, not so you can take the whole bottle with youl. The fact that the store might not have a policy of chasing down those who STEAL them, doesn't make it right. Not only does it deprive the store of the sale of the actual product, but it incurs them loss from subsequent shoppers not being able to test the fragrance until the store replaces what you stole.

Your analogy is wrong. It would more akin of picking up the platter the samples are on and walking out with that.

I was thinking of sample bottles, you know, the very tiny test tube-shaped bottles attached to little explanatory cards. Those are meant to be taken away.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    The sole reason the tester sample bottles are there on the fragrance counter is so that people can just take them away with them. They are considered to be "free stuff" - so of course LP isn't going to hound/arrest people for taking them. This goes for any store, not just Macy's.

(This would be like LP arresting people for eating the free food samples offered to them in grocery stores. Not gonna happen!)

Of course if someone took an entire basket of tester sample bottles and ran off with them, maybe LP might have a case for chasing them down...but is your good friend planning to do this?
    I think that you and the OP are talking about two different things. Samples are definitely there to be taken. However, tester bottles are usually full sized bottles of the fragrance that are there for the people to try in the store by spritzing themselves.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Davemp88
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA: My good friend’s ex girlfriend used to worked for Macy’s loss prevention around 2011 and told us that because the sample or tester cologne bottles have no resale value that their employees are told not to stop someone if they take the sample bottle does anybody know if that is still true currently?
    That Whopper that wasn't made right and returned to the store but that goes into the trash.

The empty bottle may be used, by the store, for inventory tracking purposes and disposed of. While LP may not chase down whomever took it doesn't mean it's not theft. I can't tell from my kitchen.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I think that you and the OP are talking about two different things. Samples are definitely there to be taken. However, tester bottles are usually full sized bottles of the fragrance that are there for the people to try in the store by spritzing themselves.
    I guess OP's use of the word "sample" caused me to visualize sample bottles...

1. Sponsored Links