Default Im on Disability for Kidney Failure. Can I Still File for Pandemic Unemployment

I have kidney failure and on disability. I was supposed to start cleaning my sisters house but due to covid haven't. Can I still file for pandemic unemployment while on disability?

Default Re: Im on Disability for Kidney Failure. Can I Still File for Pandemic Unemployment

Was your sister going to pay you? Were you planning on reporting those earnings. Will she verify that she was giving you a job?

You are welcome to start the application process but I think you will find that there are questions you can't answer without committing fraud and you'll have to stop there if you don't want trouble.

Default Re: Im on Disability for Kidney Failure. Can I Still File for Pandemic Unemployment

You don't say your state but as a general rule, unemployment and disability are mutually exclusive. If you qualify for one, that disqualifies you for the other.

There may be an exception under the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program.

My sister is on SSDI. She is allowed to make up to $1200 something per month. She worked two days a week for a thrift shop doing sedentary work. When the shop closed due to Covid19 she qualified for the PUA even though she couldn't qualify for regular UI.

OP's situation is somewhat different and there may be difficulties due to the potential arrangement with his sister but I don't think it would be because of disability if he's on SSDI. Private disability may be another story and might not allow any earnings at all.

A lot depends on the state and what is meant by "disability" I agree. But I think it's questionable at best.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    There may be an exception under the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program.

My sister is on SSDI. She is allowed to make up to $1200 something per month. She worked two days a week for a thrift shop doing sedentary work. When the shop closed due to Covid19 she qualified for the PUA even though she couldn't qualify for regular UI.

OP's situation is somewhat different and there may be difficulties due to the potential arrangement with his sister but I don't think it would be because of disability if he's on SSDI. Private disability may be another story and might not allow any earnings at all.
    Your sister might end up paying back some SSDI however for the period of time that she collected $600.00 a week. Assuming that she collected the 600.00 a week.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Your sister might end up paying back some SSDI however for the period of time that she collected $600.00 a week. Assuming that she collected the 600.00 a week.
    Unemployment does not count towards SGA. If she collects SSDI only why would she need to pay the SSDI back ?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Nope. UI and the PUA is not counted against SSDI. It's unearned income. She already established that with her SSA rep.

Quote Quoting y-von
    View Post
    I have kidney failure and on disability. I was supposed to start cleaning my sisters house but due to covid haven't. Can I still file for pandemic unemployment while on disability?
    You need an employment record that you were employed either full time or part time or that you are self-employed, an independent contractor, or a gig worker to qualify under the CARES act and the PUA. The CARES act made UE benefits available to people that would not otherwise qualify for state benefits. The PUA is the federal payment of an additional $600 if you qualify for state benefits. That ends July 31st unless Congress acts in the next 5 days.

If you were already employed and you couldn't take a new job because of COVID that may qualify you. But if were not working and on disability, then I say you don't qualify and filing may get you benefits because states are approving applications to get the money out but will be examining those applications later and clawing back the benefits.

Have we established definitely that it is SSDI and not a state disability program or even an employer-sponsored disability policy?

1. Sponsored Links