Default Notice of Increase

California, Los Angeles County, City of Inglewood

I have a commercial tenant with a lease that contains a rent increase after year one. I'm coming upon 60 days before the increase is scheduled to take place. Since the increase is part of the lease, am I correct that no notice of any kind is required prior to raising the rent? Even if a notice is not required, is there any downside to sending one anyway?

Default Re: Notice of Increase

You'd be foolish not to send a reminder.

Seems like a lot of people, even business owners, don't bother reading what they sign or forget it right after signing it.

Send a reminder if you don't want to be faced with the hassle of dealing with a rent check written at the old rate.

Quote Quoting douglasssmith
    View Post
    California, Los Angeles County, City of Inglewood

I have a commercial tenant with a lease that contains a rent increase after year one. I'm coming upon 60 days before the increase is scheduled to take place. Since the increase is part of the lease, am I correct that no notice of any kind is required prior to raising the rent? Even if a notice is not required, is there any downside to sending one anyway?
    Of course there is a downside. The main one that I can think of is you not getting the new amount in a timely manner. This will then likely cause you and your tenant a not so friendly conversation.

View Post
    Since the increase is part of the lease, am I correct that no notice of any kind is required prior to raising the rent?
    That depends. Does the lease require you to give a notice? If not, then the answer is no.

View Post
    Even if a notice is not required, is there any downside to sending one anyway?
    None that I can think of.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Of course there is a downside [to sending a notice even if not legally or contractually required]. The main one that I can think of is you not getting the new amount in a timely manner.
    Huh? How would sending a notice result in the OP NOT getting the increased amount in a timely manner. Seems like that would more likely result from NOT sending a notice.

Thanks all. I'm going to send the notice. That was my inclination, but the law can be crazy sometimes. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a downside to doing it.

View Post
    Thanks all. I'm going to send the notice. That was my inclination, but the law can be crazy sometimes. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a downside to doing it.
    There is a difference between a notice and a friendly reminder. I would send a friendly reminder rather than a "notice". Its already in the lease that the rent increases after year one. The tenant does not have the option to choose not to renew and to move out, which is what a notice would be partially for. The friendly reminder just reminds the tenant of what the lease says so that the tenant will catch that they need to pay the new amount starting in the proper month.

Agreed. We're on the same page. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links