Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: While Driving My Motorcycle Someone Turned in Front of Me

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

I know, I know.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I just realized why you guys never correct one another. Because you have discovered, like I should have by now, that you cannot fix stupid.
    No, we correct each other because any individual can get something wrong from time to time.

But you are right you can't fix stupid. You prove it with every post.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

You have to remember, Harold operates under the concept of, He who argues longest prevails.

The NY Bicycling Coalition does have a good synopsis of their laws regarding bikes. It states this regarding passing on the right:
    https://nybc.net/education/bike-law/...passingonright
    (Vehicle Traffic Law) VTL 1123 – Overtaking on the right – The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
    - When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
    - Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction;
    - Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
    (b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway, except as permitted by section eleven hundred thirty-one of this article.
    The first option does not apply to you because the car ahead of you was turning right, not left.

The second and third do not apply because you said that were on a two lane road with only one lane of travel in each direction.

The last would not apply because you obviously could not pass safely as you ran into the car ahead of you.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Given the story the OP has told, no it doesn't matter.

Different situation. The turning car in that example broke the law by making an illegal turn. You can't be stupid enough to not see the difference.
    Every single accident on the road is a "different situation." No two are exactly alike.

So abruptly turning into oncoming bicycles from behind on your righthand side and killing them is ok but turning into oncoming cars from behind in the lane next to you is not ok? Wow! How about opening your car door and killing an oncoming cyclist without checking your mirrors first? Is that legal too? Because heck, there might be folks out there that want to know of a legal way to kill cyclists? So checking your mirrors is now optional?

You cannot change out of your lane without checking your mirrors first when it is highly reasonable to believe that ANYONE can be swiftly approaching you from behind.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Every single accident on the road is a "different situation." No two are exactly alike.

So abruptly turning into oncoming bicycles from behind on your righthand side and killing them is ok but turning into oncoming cars from behind in the lane next to you is not ok? Wow! How about opening your car door and killing an oncoming cyclist without checking your mirrors first? Is that legal too? Because heck, there might be folks out there that want to know of a legal way to kill cyclists?

You cannot change out of your lane without checking your mirrors first when it is highly reasonable to believe that ANYONE can be swiftly approaching you from behind.
    Because the OP was beside not behind the car he has no idea if the driver signaled the turn or not. He has no idea if the car braked or not. And the OP was braking the law.

Quote Quoting bcr229
    View Post
    The NY Bicycling Coalition does have a good synopsis of their laws regarding bikes. It states this regarding passing on the right:
    https://nybc.net/education/bike-law/...passingonright

The first option does not apply to you because the car ahead of you was turning right, not left.

The second and third do not apply because you said that were on a two lane road with only one lane of travel in each direction.

The last would not apply because you obviously could not pass safely as you ran into the car ahead of you.
    That law either does not apply to bicycles or it is illegal for a bike to ever go faster than the stopped traffic on his left.

Short story: One of the first questions the hotshot lawyer asked me in my deposition was a statement you guys probably buy into. "Do you realize that all the traffic laws that apply to vehicles apply to bicycles?" I said "no they don't." He says "oh really, like what?" I said " bikes are allowed to ride on the shoulder of the road to the right of traffic and cars are not." Further, I'd say about one third of the vehicle code applies to bicycles.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Because the OP was beside not behind the car he has no idea if the driver signaled the turn or not. He has no idea if the car braked or not. And the OP was braking the law.
    Oh, so now we can legally run into vehicles, or at least bikes, that pace alongside us?

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    You have to remember, Harold operates under the concept of, He who argues longest prevails.

If you are a cop with a clue, you should step in and school your EL Clique. But I'd say that you are here for other reasons...like bashing on people.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post

So abruptly turning into oncoming bicycles from behind on your righthand side and killing them is ok but turning into oncoming cars from behind in the lane next to you is not ok? Wow! How about opening your car door and killing an oncoming cyclist without checking your mirrors first? Is that legal too? Because heck, there might be folks out there that want to know of a legal way to kill cyclists? So checking your mirrors is now optional?

Nobody was approaching the car that turned. The OP was already there hiding from someone driving in the other direction and probably paying way too much attention to the car he was hiding from.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post

That law either does not apply to bicycles or it is illegal for a bike to ever go faster than the stopped traffic on his left.

Oh, so now we can legally run into vehicles, or at least bikes, that pace alongside us?
    It is illegal to pass on the right in most cases. It is always illegal to pass on the right in the same lane in New York.

In New York, it seems so. Lane splitting isn't legal there.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Nobody was approaching the car that turned. The OP was already there hiding from someone driving in the other direction and probably paying way too much attention to the car he was hiding from.

It is illegal to pass on the right in most cases. It is always illegal to pass on the right in the same lane in New York.

In New York, it seems so. Lane splitting isn't legal there.
    So just say it then. 'It is illegal for a bicycle to pass or overtake ANY stopped or slower moving motor vehicle on his left.' ...That you Googled the law and you know this is true.

Say it, or, please tell how a bicycle can legally 'share the road' with cars? Or, a better idea is to run for the hills like the rest of your Clique did.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    So just say it then. 'It is illegal for a bicycle to pass or overtake ANY stopped or slower moving motor vehicle on his left.' ...That you Googled the law and you know this is true.

Say it, or, please tell how a bicycle can legally 'share the road' with cars? Or, a better idea is to run for the hills like the rest of your Clique did.
    It is illegal for a vehicle to pass on the right in New York.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast