Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: While Driving My Motorcycle Someone Turned in Front of Me

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Sigh...
    The OP was riding an electric bike of some kind. There are electric bikes like this...

https://www.farbike.com/bagibike-b16...olding-e-bike/

and electric bikes like this...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e.../livewire.html

and literally everything in between. Since the OP originally said motorcycle I'm leaning towards the larger end of the scale but we don't know.

In any case, the OP admits to riding and at the speed of the car in front of him and intentionally hiding behind the car. Had the driver turned on his turn signal the OP wouldn't have known because of his position and the fact that he was to busy trying to hide.

As for your comment about the driver wondering where he went, the driver may have assumed he turned off the road which is exactly what I would have assumed.

And as I mentioned in my first post the OP is lucky to be alive. When you are on a bike be it a Huffy or a Harley you are going to lose when it comes to you vs. a car of pretty much any size.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    perhaps it's time to let this one die.
    This thread should have died 6-7 days ago.

Yep, 06-16-2020 @11:29 PM to be exact.

Thank the people who keep responding to Harold the Troll.

Mea culpa.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Mea culpa.
    Ditto.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Sigh...

Cyclists exist in between cars and pedestrians as far as many traffic laws are concerned. They are definitely allowed to ride in the road (and are obligated to in NYC otherwise your bike is subject to seizure and rider fined) and are to do so in the place that they feel is safest...but that is not entirely absolute. As a cyclist I am entitled to my place on the pavement and I can occupy the entire width of the lane, not just the shoulder.

Drivers are obligated to exercise due care so as to not strike pedestrians or cyclists. (VTL1146)

If a motorist fails to yield the right of way to pa pedestrian or cyclist said motorist can face a civil penalty of $100. If a motorist strikes a pedestrian or cyclist they are subject to a $250 civil penalty. (RC-NY 19-90)

The earlier referenced rules regarding passing on the right still apply There is not relief there for cyclists.

Cyclist in NY are to use bike lanes if available. If they are not they are to use the shoulder (I never use the shoulder, that's where all of the debris is)or the right side of the lane, where they will not impede the normal flow of traffic except when making a left turn or conditions make that unsafe or impossible. (VTL1234)

These are the big ones but, at the end of the day, you're obligated to ride your bike safely in a manner that doesn't risk you or others.

Harold is not asserting that cyclists can do whatever they like, simply that there are...rules that are different for cyclists than cars. The problem, often, is that drivers often don't know that and may operate their cars dangerously around cyclists though that is not to say that the inverse doesn't happen. Furthermore, cyclists are granted a great deal of leeway from LEO as what is and isn't safe isn't always evident to drivers. Is there a chuckhole or gravel? A grate or retread? These can be extremely hazardous to cyclists. Additionally, just as cyclists should not operate in the blindspots of cyclists neither should cars. Cyclists are pretty tense cruising along in traffic. They have a lot going on and a lot of decisions to make all of the time in an environment where a wrong decision may kill them. On a motorcycle I get more respect on the road than when I'm on my bike. Cyclists travelling in traffic tend to ride quite assertively, if not aggressively, in order to maintain a place to go in the event that some hazard materializes in front of them, maybe that means crowding the lane or just being in it, rather than hugging the right.

I would love to see more bike lanes and systems that encourage and facilitate the use of bicycles. Holland is a fantastic example. But we don't have that. That means that us cyclists are stuck with cars. Instead of resenting us the space on the road that is absolutely our right they should be thanking us for paved roads in N. America since it was cyclists that aggressively and successfully lobbied for that.

In this particular case it appear, from the OP's description of events, that he was not operating safely though neither was the car. Did the car think the OP just disappeared or was he so completely unaware of the OP's presence that he didn't wonder where he went? That's an issue of situational awareness and It's possible that I would split the blame evenly between them which is a modification from my previous position.

At the end of the day, that leeway I mentioned carries pretty far in the event of an accident.
    Mark,
    Thanks for giving it a shot. Too bad these guys already know every little facet of riding a bike on the street. The internet has made them so good that they are ready to enter the Tour de France. Well, since most of them probably can't even get off the couch, they would like to tell Chris Froome exactly how to win it.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Mark,
    Thanks for giving it a shot. Too bad these guys already know every little facet of riding a bike on the street. The internet has made them so good that they are ready to enter the Tour de France. Well, since most of them probably can't even get off the couch, they would like to tell Chris Froome exactly how to win it.
    bike cannot ride adjacent the right rear quarter panel of a car for very long because cars do not typically maintain the same speed as bikes. Cars are either speeding away from us or slowing to a stop. But, as you infer (and of course will not say directly), you'd like to think that when a bike is in a car's blind spot that it is fully legal for the car to abruptly turn into them and knock them off their bike. But hey, maybe there is a 'blind-spot law' in NY that states drivers do not have to check it before turning?

When you're already in the rightmost lane making right turn, why would you have to check your blind spot? It makes as much sense as assessing blame for a guy who gets hit when someone else blows through a red light.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    When you're already in the rightmost lane making right turn, why would you have to check your blind spot? It makes as much sense as assessing blame for a guy who gets hit when someone else blows through a red light.
    Because the car was not in the right most lane. He was going straight and suddenly and abruptly turned in front of the bike.

Besides you guys don't care what actually happened. You enjoy telling people they are at fault and they have no case. You seem to have not figured that out yet either.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast