Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: the George Floyd Situation, Et Al. I Have an Idea on How to Help, but Have No I

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Don't forget intentionally shooting less-lethal rounds at people clearly outside the line of fire like the kid who was up a hill from the protesters who got his skull fractured by a bean bag round. Oh yeah, shoving old men to the ground too. I'm pro-cop but the amount of flat-out law breaking we've been seeing makes it hard.
    The list is so long of late that I just can't capture it all.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I am pro-cop to the 90% that are good cops. However, I despise the 10% that are bad cops.

The good cops cannot stop the bad cops. We saw proof of that during the Floyd incident when the Asian cop (if he is a good cop) would not stop the bad cop from killing him. As for the other two on Floyd's back, they were on the force a matter of days. No way would they say 'boo.' to what was happening or their careers were done.
    And now they're party to a murder. Their careers are over anyway.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: the George Floyd Situation, Et Al. I Have an Idea on How to Help, but Have No I

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    And now they're party to a murder. Their careers are over anyway.
    True, but to those cops who try to rat out bad cops on a daily basis have their reputations and careers destroyed too...but from within.

Cops need other cops to have their backs. There is no question to that. IMO, rooting out bad cops should come from way high up. Not from the guy who works alongside you.

Oh, and my crystal ball says those two rookies will be cut slack by the jury. Maybe even rehired on the force?

Thanks all for the responses.

While this convo has (thankfully) remained relatively respectful and peaceful, I am still wondering about how to go about doing this. Any ideas on specific steps an ordinary citizen can take?

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    ...I am still wondering about how to go about doing this. Any ideas on specific steps an ordinary citizen can take?
    Contact your elected representatives from the city to the national level, run for office and/or protest in the streets.

I predict that this thread will go 10 pages.

Sigh.

Someone needs to feel good about themselves.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Contact your elected representatives from the city to the national level, run for office and/or protest in the streets.
    Yeah, that ain't helping.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Someone needs to feel good about themselves.
    Who me? That's not why I started this thread.

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    Who me? That's not why I started this thread.
    Then why did you start the thread? Do you think your insight into the problem today would result in any significant change? Your problem is you don't understand what is actually happening in this country at this time. This is not about the Floyd killing or the police. This is an attempt to erase our history, our culture, our way of life and for only one reason.

While Floyd's death was tragic and demands some changes in police procedure, do you thing we should defund or disband police departments? Should we rewrite all our laws as a result of the death when those laws have served the communities for over 100 years? The police interact with the public thousands of times a day peaceably. They protect you when you need protection or help.

Peaceful protest is a constitutional right. But when someone destroys public or private property they are domestic terrorists. I would shoot them on sight if I couldn't take them into custody. But in most cases this violence is in states and cities that are democratically controlled. Ask yourself why that is. They allow it to happen to keep the people angry thinking it will help defeat Trump in November. That is the only reason this is allowed to continue in those cities.

IMO you are part of the problem and not the solution.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Peaceful protest is a constitutional right. But when someone destroys public or private property they are domestic terrorists. I would shoot them on sight if I couldn't take them into custody.
    That thinking right there is part of the problem. Property crime, be it destroying or stealing it, is NEVER an acceptable reason to shoot someone. Should they be arrested? Absolutely. Law & order is necessary but only necessary law & order.
    I am the Mouse Man

You might think differently if it was your business or home that was destroyed. In the abstract, it is easily forgiven.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast