Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 13 Yo Case and I Receive Letter Fm States Atty

My question involves criminal law for the state of: IL
    I do not live in Il, but 13 year old criminal misdemeanor case is from Il. I received a letter today from State's Attorney Office stating " You have been charged with a crime by complaint, information or indictment in the above referenced case and a criminal case is now pending against you." "Please take immediate action to resolve this matter". The case was originally a felony and reduced to misdemeanor. Case is inactive on clerk of court website.

What does this mean? Has someone complained or why would states attorney open this case after 13 years?

Default Re: 13 Yo Case and I Receive Letter Fm States Atty

Your questions are well-suited for a criminal defense attorney in the county where the case in question was filed. Anonymous strangers on the internet who have not read the letter have virtually no chance of providing you with any useful information in response to these questions.

This phrase in the letter that I searched seems to be a common phrase. " You have been charged with a crime by complaint, information or indictment in the above referenced case and a criminal case is now pending against you." What does it mean?

My information is incorrect in first post. This is a misdemeanor case from 2007 for which I was never charged until getting the states attorney letter today. anyone from IL know the statue of limitations? If u need more information , just ask.

"Your questions are well-suited for a criminal defense attorney in the county where the case in question was filed. Anonymous strangers on the internet who have not read the letter have virtually no chance of providing you with any useful information in response to these questions."

Quote Quoting camillafarns
    View Post
    This phrase in the letter that I searched seems to be a common phrase. " You have been charged with a crime by complaint, information or indictment in the above referenced case and a criminal case is now pending against you." What does it mean?

My information is incorrect in first post. This is a misdemeanor case from 2007 for which I was never charged until getting the states attorney letter today. anyone from IL know the statue of limitations? If u need more information , just ask.
    On the remote chance that it's a scam I suggest you call the state's attorney's office in the morning. Don't use the number on the letter, look up the number independently to make sure you are calling the real state's attorney and ask what it's all about.

View Post
    That's a sentence, not a phrase, but....

I assume you know what it means to be charged with a crime. The reference to "complaint, information or indictment" simply refers to three different procedural vehicles used to charge someone with a crime. I assume "a criminal case is now pending against you" requires no explanation.

View Post
    anyone from IL know the statue of limitations?
    The statute of limitations for what?

The statute of limitations applies for the date between the time the offense is committed and when prosecution commences. If you were charged 13 years ago, SOL is not an issue. There is a speedy trial law in Illinois, but it doesn't come into play until after you demand it.

As pointed out: first, contact the appropriate states attorney and make sure that they indeed are pursuing this and its not some scammer grinding through old arrest databases.
    second, if you have pending charges, speak to nobody without your attorney present (and the attorney will likely tell you not to speak to anybody, period).

Letter states take immediate action. What is the next step? (letter valid, a misdemeanor). What immediate action do i take? What if I just wait?

The smart thing to do is hire an attorney local to that court and have them look into it for you.

This is a different state than which I live. What if I just wait, afterall, this is 13 years old and since I am out of state I believe there are no SOL to benefit me.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast