Default Landlord/House Share Drama - How to Handle an Unstable Landlord Sharing the House

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida

Ok, so I made a huge mistake of moving in with someone who is extremely mentally unstable. I was in a rush to find a new place (was renting a room in a hotel at the time), and was looking to save money by doing a house share situation while I saved up a deposit to buy a home. Now, I'm in a predicament. Here is the situation...

This guy is EXTREMELY mentally unstable. I found out two weeks after moving in, he doesn't actually own the home, his parents do. I also found out at that point that he has over 130 criminal court cases in this county alone, including domestic violence, assault, theft, DWIs, etc. He even has pending felonies currently for assaulting a woman and her father. This is all just the tip of the iceberg. Overall, he is completely unpredictable and you never know what to expect from him day to day.

I would move out immediately, but he kept demanding more and more money from me. I made it clear weeks ago I was not doing this anymore and was leaving after I got what I paid for. At this point, I have 2.5 more weeks left. He originally claimed he would get my full deposit back to me three days prior to me moving (he has prior small claims cases of not paying people back deposits, so we came to this agreement). Then, it turned into "figure out if I gave you half back when the move out date would be." Then days later, he started claiming he was going to take half the electric bills out of my deposit, even though that wasn't our original agreement.

If money weren't such a huge issue, I'd have left already. However, the longer it takes me to get a house, the longer it is going to take for me to fix a family court case involving my children. So, above and beyond all else, my priority currently is to save every single dime I can. The only way I see that as being possible is if I stay here right up until the day that I paid until, which is July 4th.

In the meantime though, he keeps flip-flopping. One day, it's "I'll get you whatever I owe you." The next day, it's "you are paying for half the utilities." The next, it's "I don't know what I will give you back until I get the next utility bill." No matter what he says though, I already know if I leave early, he will try to rip me off, if even give me anything at all.

We have nothing in writing. I asked him numerous times to write things up (I would try to get things in writing when he'd be in a good mood) and he would claim he would, but never follow through. I just want to be left alone until July 4th, but he keeps harassing me. He keeps trying to show the room, keeps trying to set up dates for me to move out, says he will get me whatever he owes me back, then dodges me until the day of the move and tries to offer me less than what he still owes me, blaming the electric I never agreed to pay.

I don't know what to do in order to get him to back off me prior to leaving. I don't see him filing an eviction considering I only have 2.5 weeks left. Plus, with a pending felony, I don't see him wanting to open up another court case and showing himself having more drama with the courts. At the same time, it is beyond stressful not knowing what he is going to try to do next. If anyone has any suggestions here, I'm all ears.

Default Re: Landlord/House Share Drama - How to Handle an Unstable Landlord Sharing the House

What is it that you want from us? Sympathy? Sorry, no. What I'm reading is this: "Terrible things are happening to me and I'm so stressed out. Now here are all my excuses for not leaving."

What suggestion could anybody here give you other than get the f--k out of there NOW?

Default Re: Landlord/House Share Drama - How to Handle an Unstable Landlord Sharing the House

So you're moving out in two weeks because by then you'll have saved up enough money for a down payment on house of your own? But when you moved in you'd been living in a hotel and had no savings? Wow! How many years have you been living there? And bad as it may seem to you, why can't you just hang for two more weeks and then go buy a house?

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    So you're moving out in two weeks because by then you'll have saved up enough money for a down payment on house of your own? But when you moved in you'd been living in a hotel and had no savings? Wow! How many years have you been living there? And bad as it may seem to you, why can't you just hang for two more weeks and then go buy a house?
    No, in two weeks, the amount I paid towards this place will be up. It is going to take me six to eight months to have enough for a down payment on a home. I have only lived here for 2.5 months now.

Also, I had savings prior to moving in. Just not that much, and I was trying to conserve. And besides, I don't know many people that do a background check on someone they are looking to rent from. This was all new to me.

To answer your final question, yes, I do plan to hang in here for the next couple weeks. I'm just not sure how to handle an unruly landlord/home share like this. I have never dealt with it before. I tried to come here for help from others that may have experienced issues like this and know how to deal with it.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    What is it that you want from us? Sympathy? Sorry, no. What I'm reading is this: "Terrible things are happening to me and I'm so stressed out. Now here are all my excuses for not leaving."

What suggestion could anybody here give you other than get the f--k out of there NOW?
    Did I ask for sympathy? No. And I am sure it must be nice to just have hundreds to throw around like you do to not worry about losing a couple hundred or so. I don't make 100k+ a year, so to me, the money is a huge deal. Thanks to covid, I don't even make $35k currently.

Also, are you actually an attorney? When things are hard in the courtroom and you get stressed, do you run as well? I could only imagine how that would work out for your clients. To suggest running away because someone is trying to intimidate me is pretty bad advice imo.

I came here because I don't know the legalities of any of this. I came here for help. You did absolutely nothing to help. Just elitist criticism.

Quote Quoting FamilyNeedsHelp
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida

I don't know what to do in order to get him to back off me prior to leaving. I don't see him filing an eviction considering I only have 2.5 weeks left. Plus, with a pending felony, I don't see him wanting to open up another court case and showing himself having more drama with the courts. At the same time, it is beyond stressful not knowing what he is going to try to do next. If anyone has any suggestions here, I'm all ears.
    I get that you're frustrated, but yours isn't a legal question. It doesn't appear that he's doing anything illegal. Annoying, yes. Illegal, no. However, you appear to be waiting for him to "put something in writing" as to returning your deposit. Why don't you prepare something for him to sign, rather than waiting on him?

1. Sponsored Links