Default Michigan Ticket, Illinois Driver

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Michigan

I'm a licensed Illinois Driver. This weekend, I got a ticket in the State of Michigan. 65 in a 55, offense code 8051, 257.628. Let's be clear: I fully deserved this, and the officer was doing me a favor with the 65 in a 55. He could have really thrown the book at me. He didn't. I'm appreciative.

I have no problem taking what is coming to me, but I also have a clean record, and I want to pay as little in the long run as I can, between the fine, insurance, legal fees, etc. Before I log on the website, plead guilty, and pay the ticket, I want to make sure I've done my research. If it matters, I have Allstate Insurance.

• Would there be any real benefit to getting a lawyer?
    • Would I get a lawyer in Illinois or Michigan?
    • What could they even do for me?
    • Do Michigan and Illinois "talk" to each other? Will this even carry over?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Michigan Ticket, Illinois Driver

Quote Quoting Petty criminal
    View Post

Thanks in advance

That is up to you.
    Michigan
    Not much on the face of it but I'm sure you can find one that will swear they can get the fine lowered or even found not guilty.
    Yes, they do.

Benefit to a lawyer: maybe. The lawyer can give you guidance on your chances of getting the fines/points/etc. reduced or eliminated. Even if you really were going 10 miles over, if your record is otherwise clean and absent other bad facts, the court might give you a break e.g. traffic school, probation before judgment, some other kind of diversion, etc.. Having a lawyer will help achieve that result.

The ticket was issued in Michigan and so the case would be heard in Michigan. Consequently, you'd get a lawyer in Michigan to represent and advise you.

Do Michigan and Illinois talk to each other about this sort of thing? Yes.
    There is a "Driver License Compact" that has been enacted in most states (Illinois is a party, and it looks like Michigan signed up to it in 2019).
    You can read the Illinois law here:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...eqEnd=96800000
    Basically, information about traffic violations is shared and at least some of the time an offense in one state will affect a license issued in another state.

Petty Criminal, see if Michigan allows you to take a defensive driving course to keep the citation off your record. You can often do them online in about 3 hours for the same price as the citation plus a fee.

Otherwise, you're looking at a 10% to 15% surcharge for 3 years unless your insurance company forgives the first ticket in a 3 year experience period.

View Post
    Your first and third questions go together, and I don't know the answer to either. That said, some states (and I don't know if MI is one of them) handle minor traffic offenses in the same way as other minor crimes -- i.e., a prosecutor is assigned (by contrast, some states do not involve a prosecutor and the trial basically involves only the cop and the defendant and the defendant's lawyer if he/she hires one). If Michigan handles traffic matters more like regular criminal cases, then you might be able to negotiate a plea bargain, although I don't know what a garden variety speeding ticket could be reduced to. In a nutshell, you won't know what a lawyer might be able to do for you without consulting with one. And I agree that going to traffic school is probably the best idea. I got a ticket a few years ago and took care of it with online traffic school, which was an absolute joke. It took me only an hour or so to complete (as opposed to the old days when traffic school was done in person and was an all-day ordeal).

The answer to the second question is Michigan since that's where the ticket was issued. As for the fourth question, if you're asking whether a conviction will result in "points" on your IL record, the answer is yes.

View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Michigan

I'm a licensed Illinois Driver. This weekend, I got a ticket in the State of Michigan. 65 in a 55, offense code 8051, 257.628. Let's be clear: I fully deserved this, and the officer was doing me a favor with the 65 in a 55. He could have really thrown the book at me. He didn't. I'm appreciative.

I have no problem taking what is coming to me, but I also have a clean record, and I want to pay as little in the long run as I can, between the fine, insurance, legal fees, etc. Before I log on the website, plead guilty, and pay the ticket, I want to make sure I've done my research. If it matters, I have Allstate Insurance.

Thanks in advance
    I am pretty sure that a lawyer would cost you more than paying the ticket and accepting any temporary insurance increase. You would need an attorney licensed in Michigan. You might find an attorney in Illinois that is also licensed in Michigan but the travel expenses you would have to pay for the attorney to travel to Michigan would make it even worse.

Call your auto insurance agent and ask if one point on your driving record for speeding will affect your rates. All auto insurance that I've had did not raise my rates for the first citation.

If one citation does raise your rates, see if traffic school is available to keep the citation from hitting your driving record.

If traffic school is not available and you are told that one point on your record will raise your rates, call an attorney near the courthouse that specializes in traffic tickets. Those attorneys cost about $300 and handle citations like yours in bulk...that is, they do not make a special trip to the courthouse just for your citation but go there with many citations to make it worth their while. I used one once and he got a red light photo citation dismissed that I could have never done on my own. They have been down that road many times and should know what they are capable of. He probably even plays golf with the prosecutor.

Good luck and report back what you learn please.

1. Sponsored Links