Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Medical Cannabis Card Affects Security Clearance

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida

Good morning!

Wondering if obtaining a cannabis card will interfere with one's ability to obtain Security Clearance?

FYI My research has concluded with a hard no.

Default Re: Medical Cannabis Card Affects Security Clearance

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post

Wondering if obtaining a cannabis card will interfere with one's ability to obtain Security Clearance?
    Depends on who or what requires the security clearance. If a security clearance is required for a federal government job you aren't likely to get it because cannabis is a federal crime.

On a state level, depends on the employer.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post

FYI My research has concluded with a hard no.
    Give us a link to your "research."

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Depends on who or what requires the security clearance. If a security clearance is required for a federal government job you aren't likely to get it because cannabis is a federal crime.

On a state level, depends on the employer.
    It's for a physical security position within a defense industry company. so, the candidate would be a security officer (contractor) working for another contractor [to the U.S.]

https://www.google.com/search?q=does...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

How about you give a link to your "research" that shows actual people that recently failed a background check due to having a medical marijuana card?

While you are at it, prove that obtaining a medical card puts a person on a federal list?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    How about you give a link to your "research" that shows actual people that recently failed a background check due to having a medical marijuana card?

While you are at it, prove that obtaining a medical card puts a person on a federal list?
    You are welcomed to do the same.

Now, how about you tell us which of the 11,300,000 results you read that leads you to believe that a pot card won't affect a security clearance?

Because the first link had this to say,

Security-clearance adjudicators refuse clearances to persons who use illicit drugs, including marijuana. They make no exception for “medicinal” marijuana users. Medicinal marijuana is still marijuana, and using it medicinally is still illicit use—and accordingly, is still grounds for denying or revoking a clearance.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post
    The answer is going to depend on what clearance you need. There isn't just one kind of security clearance out there. Note that it might not be the card itself that is a problem, but rather whether you are actually using the drug. Having the card would suggest you do take it (otherwise why would you bother getting it) and that may put some additional hurdles in your way. Just for one example, when applying for the security clearance for access to sensitive compartmented information (SCI) to work in the CIA or other federal intelligence agencies, the standards applied say that current drug use (which is defined as using an illegal drug or using a legal drug in a manner that deviates from medical direction) may disqualify you from getting the clearance. See Director of National Intelligence policy guidance ICPG 704.2. No mention of having a medical marijuana card as being the potential problem, but since marijuana possession and use is still illegal under federal law current or even past use of the drug might cause you to be denied the security clearance. So if the agency sees the medical marijuana card it's likely going to dig a bit deeper to see if there is a problem with drug use. That's just an example for one type of security clearance. You have to look at the standards for the particular clearance you will need for the job.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post
    You are welcomed to do the same.
    I do not click on links to know about these things like other here do. I talk to people who actually use security clearances with their jobs and I know for a fact that pot is not as disqualifying as it used to be.

My advice to you would be to clean out your system for 4-6 weeks prior to taking the drug test. Check the box that you do not use cannabis. If asked about the medical card, say that you have the card but you do not use it.

Pot is also not as disqualifying to insurance companies like it used to be. If you click on links, policies and guidelines regarding pot, you are likely reading information that is 5-10 years outdated. But as we've seen with Covid, people enjoy scaring people to control them.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I do not click on links to know about these things like other here do. I talk to people who actually use security clearances with their jobs and I know for a fact that pot is not as disqualifying as it used to be.

My advice to you would be to clean out your system for 4-6 weeks prior to taking the drug test. Check the box that you do not use cannabis. If asked about the medical card, say that you have the card but you do not use it.

Pot is also not as disqualifying to insurance companies like it used to be.
    That first paragraph simply means that Harrold99 doesn't actually research things and accepts the random comments of people that may or may not know what they are talking about.

The second to are telling you to lie on a document that you are signing under penalty of perjury.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    That first paragraph simply means that Harrold99 doesn't actually research things and accepts the random comments of people that may or may not know what they are talking about.

The second to are telling you to lie on a document that you are signing under penalty of perjury.
    Click your links and scare on. What a pastime you have here which is learning about life through the internet...instead of going out and experiencing it.

So, did you push your keyboard away the other day and get some much needed exercise? See if you can get your heartrate to 100 without passing out.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast