Default Attempting to Get My Property

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Illinois I was terminated from my job. No final write up. Not instructed not to return to property. I got some of my belongings as my vehicle was full i couldn't get the rest. I handed in one key. I still have another and the director was notified that i still had that key and a walkie talkie on Wednesday when i called to make arrangments to get the rest if my items. I have not been contacted back. My text have not been replied to.(her prefereed point of contact) Since i have not been told i am not allowed there and i have a key cant i go get my stuff? Should i have a cop go with me just for witness?

Default Re: Attempting to Get My Property

How about you text that you will be arriving on a date and time to pick up your property and return the key. If she doesn't respond then just show up but do not use your key. Wait for someone to let you in. Entering without permission after termination could be seen as a trespass.

If you have not be instructed to stay away, I think Bud's suggestion is quite reasonable.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    How about you text that you will be arriving on a date and time to pick up your property and return the key. If she doesn't respond then just show up but do not use your key. Wait for someone to let you in. Entering without permission after termination could be seen as a trespass.
    I text her yesterday a few times yesterday with no response. In my final message i told her i would be taken further steps if i did not get a response. I would be speaking with a lawyer or the police to get my belongings. Woukd telling her i will be there today at 4pm with the police to get my items be enough notice? The main thing i am worried about is my items may be taken or thrown away. I will elaborate... I was the Activity Coordinator at a assisted living facility. The day before i was terminated i had been going through items in the main activity room with the newly hired community director. She was throwing many items out. I had explained to her that some of these items belonged to residents. I wasn't sure exactly what all belonged to them, as i had been out over a month due to covid precautions but i knew they had items in there. She had also attempted to throw some of my items away and i informed her they belonged to me and told me to take them to my office. I told her i had quit a bit of stuff there including the 2 plants you just sat by the door for whatever reason. She said nothing and then went to lunch and did not return while i was at work. I had forgot something at work and stopped in to grab it. It was a gift for my friend. Upon entering the Activity Room I noticed a huge pile of items boxed up, in trash cans and totes. The gift i had stopped to get was gone. I called her and asked her what had happened to it. She claimed she had no idea what I was talking about. She asked why i had personal items at work and i told her i had a lot of personal items at work. I wasn't aware i wasn't allowed to bring personal items. I was told i needed to remove all personal items. A couple photos would be fine but that's it. I hadnt really looked through the pile in front of the door. The next day I came in and my friends gift had returned in plain sight. I noticed some of the items in the pile of stuff belonged to a resident. Still unsure of what the pike was i didn't touch it. Later I asked what the stiff all piled up was and was told it was trash. I wnet back up and noticed they had taken everything out of the closets, cabinets, off the tables and thrown it in the pile. Later after telling her again there were residents beligings in there as well as my own so i was going to look through it before it went out. She informed me not to spend much time on that. It was all trash. I had other things to do. When i had time is started looking through the stuff and she came in and told me i was wasting time me on it. The stuff was trash it was going to the trash. I didnt get to look again. I did get a bible that was my grandmas i had taken for bible study since we civid the church group couldn't come in. I had taken it out of a smaller pile several times and kept finding it back in the building keep stuff. Remember i was to be getting my personal items out of there. After they again took it they asked me why i kept taking the bible and i told them it was mine. They then asked if i had my name in it i said no not my name but my grandmas name. Later that day i had returned to my office and noticed a clear tote i had packed my personal items in was half empty now. I opened it and realized all my walmart sacks were gone. The residents told me that those lady's had been up here going through my things again. The items were small petty items i had purchased like a couple bottles dial hand soap, a couple bottles of dawn, some cough drops some dish rags i got for 50 cents and sweet and low. I go to the office and ask them what happened to my belongings and she said not everything was mine. I asked her what wasnt mine and she said the dish towels and the dawn. I explained they were mine i had purchased them and the ivory dish soap is up there is what they had purchased.i told her i had receipts and was told to go get them. I was terminated 5 min later for being in my phone where i was looking up the receipts on my walmart app. I never got those items back. Either

So with all that is going on in the world right now, you want to waste a police officer's time to do a standby for a few petty items? Isn't your time best finding a new job?

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    So with all that is going on in the world right now, you want to waste a police officer's time to do a standby for a few petty items? Isn't your time best finding a new job?
    Maybe if they were just petty items like the soap and wash clothes, the items they stole from me while i was still employed I wouldn't waste my own time let Lone anybody else's. You know what they say about assuming don't you? The Bible they also tried to steal was far from petty it was my deceased grandmothers who never missed church for at least the time I've been alive. Never on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights not one vacation bible school day, one youth group, not one camp, if church was involved she was there. Not one church happening did she miss. She carried that same Bible since I was a kid in Sunday school. Did you even read the comment or just reply? I did say i had SEVERAL PERSONAL ITEMS. If $1500 plus dollars is petty to you then maybe you could give me a job. They are kind of hard to find these days. I would prefer not involving anybody or spending any extra time getting my belongings back but unfortunately here I am trying to remedy the problem. My former employer would be the one responsible for wasting everybody's time because they are the ones you may be able to relate to the word petty. This page is for help not people like you wasting my time to read comments from somebody wanting to be rude to people who are looking for some guidance. So unless you can offer some sort of guidance to my situation or the next situation that is posted maybe you should think about all that is going on in the world and what you can do about it. Go stand up in a civial protest for the young man gunned down on a jog, or the man killed on video by policeman out of control, go make some lunches for the children who don't have food, monitor the bully's in your area causing people to take their own lives, record the local heroin dealer selling drugs that are killing people of all ages by the dozens, make your local hospital and first responders lunch or cookies, go get a couple less fortunate children take them for ice cream or fishing or just play a simple game of gold fish with them or read them a book cause their mom works 2 jobs and doesn't get much time to do those things. Anything positive to put a smile on somebody's face and make a difference. If your up you could come sit at the animal shelter with me while this poor mistreated over bread Pit Bull struggles to give birth to her final litter of puppies. Either way have a blessed day.

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    Maybe if they were just petty items like the soap and wash clothes, the items they stole from me while i was still employed, I wouldn't waste my own time let alone anybody else's. You know what they say about assuming don't you? The Bible they also tried to steal was far from petty. It was my deceased grandmothers, who never missed church for at least the time I've been alive. Never on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, not one vacation bible school day, one youth group, not one camp, if church was involved she was there. Not one church happening did she miss. She carried that same Bible since I was a kid in Sunday school. Did you even read the comment or just reply? I did say i had SEVERAL PERSONAL ITEMS. If $1500 plus dollars is petty to you then maybe you could give me a job. They are kind of hard to find these days. I would prefer not involving anybody or spending any extra time getting my belongings back but unfortunately here I am trying to remedy the problem. My former employer would be the one responsible for wasting everybody's time because they are the ones you may be able to relate to the word petty. This page is for help not people like you wasting my time to read comments from somebody wanting to be rude to people who are looking for some guidance. So unless you can offer some sort of guidance to my situation or the next situation that is posted maybe you should think about all that is going on in the world and what you can do about it. Go stand up in a civial protest for the young man gunned down on a jog, or the man killed on video by policeman out of control, go make some lunches for the children who don't have food, monitor the bully's in your area causing people to take their own lives, record the local heroin dealer selling drugs that are killing people of all ages by the dozens, make your local hospital and first responders lunch or cookies, go get a couple less fortunate children take them for ice cream or fishing or just play a simple game of gold fish with them or read them a book cause their mom works 2 jobs and doesn't get much time to do those things. Anything positive to put a smile on somebody's face and make a difference. If your up you could come sit at the animal shelter with me while this poor mistreated over bread Pit Bull struggles to give birth to her final litter of puppies. Either way I hope you woke up in a better mood today and have an even better day than yesterday. I hope you can find something positive to do to make not just somebody else feel good but yourself as well. Have a blessed day.

I am truly sympathetic to what you are dealing with. However, the Bible is something that you should have carried out with you when you left. You should have refused to leave without it.

Now for the sake of anyone else reading this thread: You should never have more personal items at work, than what you can carry out with you if you have to leave permanently. You should never have valuable items at work at all, unless they are items required for your job (like a mechanic's personal toolbox) and again, you shouldn't leave without those if you are leaving on a permanent basis, as well.

We have seen many, many, many people on these forums come here with threads about trying to get personal items back that they left at work when they quit or got fired. It is ALWAYS a problem.

One thing that you can try is sue them in small claims court for what you believe is the value of your items. Sue both the nursing home itself and the individual in charge of the nursing home. Then, offer to settle the case if they return all of your belongs promptly. If they haven't thrown them away, they will likely return them promptly. Provide them an exact list of what you expect to be returned.

1. Sponsored Links