Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unemployment /Pua

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: New Jersey and New York
    Hello,

Thank you in advance for the answer.

I am a recent graduate. I worked part time for cash but never filed taxes in my life. I am having a hard time finding a job during this pandemic. How do I apply only for the PUA? I assume I would not be eligible for unemployment as I never paid taxes. So how do I go about this? If i file for unemployment, the system asks for last day work and or last employer. It doesn't give options to choose none. I don't want to submit the application with false information but it seems like I can't push this application without making up dates.

Thanks

Default Re: Unemployment /Pua

First off, you have to figure out where you are currently residing. It can't be both NY and NJ. You have to show residency in one or the other.
    You have to apply via that states unemployment system. Both have procedures set up to route those who wouldn't otherwise qualify.
    The problem you have is that you have to show that you were previously employed, either as an employee or an independent contractor (and not paying taxes does not bode well for you) and that your job was either ended or one that was scheduled to start was wiped out by the pandemic issues.

As for specific advice, you need to indicate where it is you are residing now.

In my experience, if you lived in CA you would qualify for stimulus money but not PUA. You would need tax records showing you were an independent contractor/self employed.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    In my experience, if you lived in CA you would qualify for stimulus money but not PUA. You would need tax records showing you were an independent contractor/self employed.
    But he doesn't live in CA.

Quote Quoting mbmj600
    View Post

I am a recent graduate. I worked part time for cash but never filed taxes in my life.
    Now you know what a bad idea it was not to declare those cash earnings.

You have at least another month to file a tax return for 2019, declare your cash income, pay the tax, and likely be eligible for the stimulus check.

PUA is distinct from the stimulus. it's an attempt to extend unemployment-like benefits (paid by the feds) to people who don't qualify for state UI payments (often the "gig" economy independent contractors).

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    PUA is distinct from the stimulus. it's an attempt to extend unemployment-like benefits (paid by the feds) to people who don't qualify for state UI payments (often the "gig" economy independent contractors).
    I believe the self-employed unemployment (PUA) is paid for they the State and the Fed. The base amount is paid for by the state and the $600 supplemental is paid for by the Fed.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I believe the self-employed unemployment (PUA) is paid for they the State and the Fed. The base amount is paid for by the state and the $600 supplemental is paid for by the Fed.
    Nope, that is the regular UI. Since the states never collected tax on those that will be receiving PUI the money isn't there to pay.

I reside in NY. I said both states because the question was also for my friend from NJ who is in the same boat as me. I did not file taxes as my income was less than $5k. I used to work part time while studying. I was under the impression that if you made under 5k you didn't have to file but clearly I should have.
    Also the UI website for both states will not you proceed unless you enter dates for unemployment

Quote Quoting mbmj600
    View Post
    I reside in NY. I said both states because the question was also for my friend from NJ who is in the same boat as me. I did not file taxes as my income was less than $5k. I used to work part time while studying. I was under the impression that if you made under 5k you didn't have to file but clearly I should have.
    Also the UI website for both states will not you proceed unless you enter dates for unemployment
    I would say you qualify for the stimulus and PUA. If you are out of work then just enter the dates on the website that you first became unemployed due to Covid. They were allowing a person to be compensated back to about March 15th. If they are still allowing that you'd be owed a hefty check equal to about ($175 + $600) x 10wks = $7,700...if your limit allowed for that.

You have nothing to lose from applying.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast