Default Can Parking Tickets Be Mailed Days After the Violation

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NJ. I received a suspicious letter in the mail from my local police department postmarked 3 days after a parking violation. It came in an unofficial envelope with a rubber stamped return address and my address was handwritten. How legal is this, because it smells fishier than a seafood market. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Can Parking Tickets Be Mailed Days After the Violation

Quote Quoting bikedoctor34
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NJ. I received a suspicious letter in the mail from my local police department postmarked 3 days after a parking violation. It came in an unofficial envelope with a rubber stamped return address and my address was handwritten. How legal is this, because it smells fishier than a seafood market. Thanks in advance!
    It is legal as in there is no law against it. You can contact the agency that gave you the ticket to see if it is legit.

View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NJ. I received a suspicious letter in the mail from my local police department postmarked 3 days after a parking violation. It came in an unofficial envelope with a rubber stamped return address and my address was handwritten.
    There is nothing illegal about mailing you the citation rather than slapping on your car window. There is nothing wrong with the police using rubber stamps to smack their return address on envelopes or handwriting addresses. It looks a bit unprofessional, sure, but that's not illegal. Some very small police departments may indeed operate in that more informal manner.

View Post
    How legal is this, because it smells fishier than a seafood market. Thanks in advance!
    That said, the informal way it was done would certainly cause me to wonder if this was a legitimate ticket or a scam. So the first thing I'd do if I were in your shoes is contact the department and see if in fact it was a citation it sent out or whether it's a scam.

What does the ticket say about paying for the violation? Does it say to pay it to the municipal clerk or court clerk at a certain address or pay it in person? If so, how would you view that as a scam?

1. Sponsored Links