Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default License Suspended 3.5 Years After Its Surrendered to Another State

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: NY

Received a driver's license cancellation notice from GA effective April 13, 2020, due to a suspension order from NY. According to the NY DMV's website, they suspended the driver's license I surrendered to GA when I received my GA license in December 2016. The suspension is for lack of NY auto insurance. I live in GA, and have since December 2016.

GA confirmed they sent the surrender notice to NY in December 2016, and to call NY. I have not been able to reach the NY DMV since they're shutdown due to COVID.

Two questions:
    1) What can I do to get my license reinstated?
    2) What do I need to watch out for after reinstatement? Make sure the DMV removes the record? Anything else?

Thanks!

Default Re: License Suspended 3.5 Years After Its Surrendered to Another State

To clarify:

Was the suspension for not having insurance after you had surrendered your license to GA and got licensed there?
    I am the Mouse Man

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    To clarify:

Was the suspension for not having insurance after you had surrendered your license to GA and got licensed there?
    Correct - I moved to GA and immediately transferred car registration to GA and got insured.

Do you have any vehicles still registered in NY?

Was there ever a period that you were not insured?

Your first question is best directed to the Georgia DMV, and I'm not sure what the rest of your questions mean.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Your first question is best directed to the Georgia DMV, and I'm not sure what the rest of your questions mean.
    GA is telling me to call NY, which isn't possible.

I don't have any vehicles registered in NY (or have anything else to do with NY), and have been continuously insured in GA.

Quote Quoting jaydee
    View Post
    GA is telling me to call NY, which isn't possible.

I don't have any vehicles registered in NY (or have anything else to do with NY), and have been continuously insured in GA.
    Why isn't it possible? You are going to need to clear the problem in New York. To do that you are going to have to prove to them unbroken coverage. You may be able to do that via a mix of phone, email and/or mail. But GA can't make NY do anything.

If NY DMV acts like I think they are going to act you may need to get a lawyer in NY to deal with it.

NY DMV has shut down the phones and the email function on their site. So far, I haven't been able to find any other way to contact them.

Purchased a driver report from NY DMV. They do not have record of the surrender to GA, and suspended my license in Feb 2017 due to lack of insurance. At that time, I didn't live in NY or have any vehicles registered there.

Quote Quoting jaydee
    View Post
    NY DMV has shut down the phones and the email function on their site. So far, I haven't been able to find any other way to contact them.

Purchased a driver report from NY DMV. They do not have record of the surrender to GA, and suspended my license in Feb 2017 due to lack of insurance. At that time, I didn't live in NY or have any vehicles registered there.

I'm guessing you cancelled your NY policy before you turned in your NY plates.

You're not being clear on what the suspension is actually for - insurance lapse, operating without insurance, no insurance in effect, etc.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast