Question As a Landlord Am I Required to Provide Internet Access (Also Another Question)

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: South Carolina

We have somebody in our house we agreed verbally to rent a room to on a month to month basis and they are becoming really annoying and obnoxious to the point that we gave them 30 days notice to vacate. My question is are we required by SC state law to provide this person with internet access? Is it considered a utility? They are claiming we do but i wasnt clear on this. Thank you.

Also is there any quicker way to get this person out of our home? They are litterally driving us insane lol. My wife about got in an argument last night because they want to stay up all hours of the night and she had wanted to vacuum and clean the house this morning adn they are saying OH NO you cant do that and so she got angry and told them if they didnt start helping out around the house and stop staying up late then we were going to turn the internet off and theyd be bored.

Default Re: As a Landlord Am I Required to Provide Internet Access (Also Another Question)

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: South Carolina

We have somebody in our house we agreed verbally to rent a room to on a month to month basis and they are becoming really annoying and obnoxious to the point that we gave them 30 days notice to vacate. My question is are we required by SC state law to provide this person with internet access? Is it considered a utility? They are claiming we do but i wasnt clear on this. Thank you.

Also is there any quicker way to get this person out of our home? They are litterally driving us insane lol. My wife about got in an argument last night because they want to stay up all hours of the night and she had wanted to vacuum and clean the house this morning adn they are saying OH NO you cant do that and so she got angry and told them if they didnt start helping out around the house and stop staying up late then we were going to turn the internet off and theyd be bored.
    No, Internet is not a required utility. Your wife is also free to vacuum and clean at whatever hour she wants to, as long as it is a reasonable time of day.

Default Re: As a Landlord Am I Required to Provide Internet Access (Also Another Question)

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post
    We have somebody in our house we agreed verbally to rent a room to on a month to month basis
    Bet you won't do that again.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post
    they are becoming really annoying and obnoxious
    Inevitable.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post

we gave them 30 days notice to vacate.
    Hope you put that in writing. 27-40-240(B)(3):

https://law.justia.com/codes/south-c...ion-27-40-240/

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post

My question is are we required by SC state law to provide this person with internet access? Is it considered a utility? They are claiming we do but i wasn't clear on this.
    Possible breach of contract if you turn it off.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post

Also is there any quicker way to get this person out of our home?
    There's a 14 day option in 27-40-710 but I don't think it applies here.

https://law.justia.com/codes/south-c...ion-27-40-710/

You could pay him to leave.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post

They are litterally driving us insane lol.
    Anybody who rents out part of their house is already insane. LOL back atcha.

https://www.scbar.org/public/get-leg...-of-landlords/

The landlord must provide running water, reasonable amounts of hot water and reasonable heat, unless 1) the building is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose, or 2) where the unit is equipped with appliances that generate heat and hot water and these appliances are within the exclusive control of the tenant. Finally, the landlord must keep in reasonably good and safe working order and condition all electrical, gas, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and other facilities and appliances supplied, or required to be supplied by him. The landlord and tenant may agree in writing for these duties to be performed by the tenant if that agreement is entered into in good faith. Appliances present in the dwelling unit are presumed to be supplied by the landlord unless specifically excluded in the lease.
    No mention that the landlord must provide telephone, internet, or CATV utilities. So, does your lease state anything about them or not? I would leave them in place until the day after your tenant should have been out.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post
    My question is are we required by SC state law to provide this person with internet access?
    No.

Quote Quoting shinjorai
    View Post
    Is it considered a utility?
    That depends on what definition of the term you use. There is no single generally accepted definition of what counts as a utility service. However, most definitions include water, electric, gas, and landline telephone services as utilities. While some also include cable TV and internet as utilities, too, that doesn't really matter for your purposes because no SC law requires landlords to provide cable or internet services to tenants. The only problem you may have in turning off the tenant's internet access is, as Jack says, the possibility that it would be a breach of contract. If you promised internet service as part of the rental then you'd be in breach of contract turning it off, at least as long as he's not breached his end of the bargain. And being annoying is not by itself enough to breach the contract.

While technically cable or internet may not be considered an essential utility for a landlord to provide in the housing codes, most state's governors have issued executive orders that utilities must suspend utility disconnects during the COVID pandemic. You are not a utility in the strict meaning of utility by providing internet to your tenant. However, if the internet is the way your tenant receives email and news, it is probably not a good idea to discontinue as a way to get them to move at the present time.

How would you feel if you couldn't stay in touch with your employer, or certify for UI benefits, or stay informed during this time because your internet access was cut off?

Don't make a bad situation worse.

1. Sponsored Links