Lightbulb Title to a Motorcycle I Purchased in 2005

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Ohio, I purchased a brand new 2005 suzuki motorcycle at $6900 financed by HSBC or HFC,LLC in the year 2005. In Jan. 2009 I filed BK chp.7, discharge date cert. 5/2009. I entered the debt balance of 1700.00 into my BK, and my attorney said a representative from the Lending company need to attend on the Bk court date to contest or pickup the bike. well no one showed from HSBC or HFC nor did they come to pick up the motorcycle. I have registered it and full coverage insurance each and every year up to 12/2016. My husband Job transferred the family from California to Ohio which is where we reside now. and every since the move I haven't been able to register it because Ohio BMV says that I need the title or bill-of-sale to register it, and Im still paying $139.00 a year to keep it insured, its in the storage right now.
    Can the original purchase contract from 2005 be considered the bill-of-sale.

Default Re: Title to a Motorcycle I Purchased in 2005

Quote Quoting justmepj
    View Post
    and every since the move I haven't been able to register it because Ohio BMV says that I need the title or bill-of-sale to register it...
    You live in CA now, so why are you trying to register it in OH now? You need to register in CA since you are now a resident of that state. Have you tried registering it with the CA DMV? You may need to get the title from the lenders, which you should have done in 2009. After 11 years the lenders might not have it any more. But it can't hurt to try to get it from them if you've not done that before. Another alternative may be to get a duplicate title if the original cannot be obtained. Whether whatever documents you have from the sale would be good enough to get it titled and registered in CA is something you'd want to first act the folks at the DMV.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    You live in CA now, so why are you trying to register it in OH now? You need to register in CA since you are now a resident of that state. Have you tried registering it with the CA DMV? You may need to get the title from the lenders, which you should have done in 2009. After 11 years the lenders might not have it any more. But it can't hurt to try to get it from them if you've not done that before. Another alternative may be to get a duplicate title if the original cannot be obtained. Whether whatever documents you have from the sale would be good enough to get it titled and registered in CA is something you'd want to first act the folks at the DMV.
    Read it again TM. He transferred from CA to OH.

You apply to the California DMV for a duplicate title. Hopefully, the lender has properly released their lien. That is what the BMV in Ohio needs. If the lien is not released you'll want to contact the lender as to why (separate issue). Even with a lien designated, you can continue to title/register in Ohio.

California duplicate title info: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...s/howto/htvr10
    Ohio info: https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-out-state.aspx

Quote Quoting justmepj
    View Post

Can the original purchase contract from 2005 be considered the bill-of-sale.
    Dunno. Want me to call up the Ohio BMV and find out? Oh, wait, you have a phone, or you can go there with your contract and ask.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Read it again TM. He transferred from CA to OH.
    You're right. Somehow I had it reversed.

1. Sponsored Links