Default Confusion with Residency As a Minor

I am 17 years old living in Texas. Ive lived here for 2 years and before that i was a Florida resident for 15 years. For my last year of high school i am moving back to florida to live with my friend and her mother, my parents have already agreed to this. is it required for her mother to have guardianship of me? how do we prove my residency is in her house in florida and not my parents in texas?

i will need this residency to register for school, voting, and get my license. Please help thank you!

Default Re: Confusion with Residency As a Minor

Quote Quoting sarahbears6
    View Post
    I am 17 years old living in Texas. Ive lived here for 2 years and before that i was a Florida resident for 15 years. For my last year of high school i am moving back to florida to live with my friend and her mother, my parents have already agreed to this. is it required for her mother to have guardianship of me? how do we prove my residency is in her house in florida and not my parents in texas?
    Required for what purpose? If you're asking about your ability to be enrolled in school, your parents and/or your friend's mother need to contact someone at the school where you are to be enrolled to find out what will be needed. That said, it's likely that your friend's mother will need either a guardianship (which is something that can only be accomplished by court order) or a power of attorney from your parents.

There's health insurance as well. You (or your parents) need to confirm whether their insurance will cover you in Florida. If it does not, your friends in Florida will almost certainly need a court ordered guardianship to include you on theirs.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    There's health insurance as well. You (or your parents) need to confirm whether their insurance will cover you in Florida. If it does not, your friends in Florida will almost certainly need a court ordered guardianship to include you on theirs.
    His parents could also get a private policy for him. He doesn't have to be included on someone else's insurance.

True. But the other option exists, and they need to be aware of it. It might be easier to include Sarah on her friend's existing policy that to buy a new one, solely for her, as a minor.

1. Sponsored Links