Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Out of Country Vacation

Quote Quoting spokanedriver
    View Post
    The commissioner ruled i could absolutely take our child out of country. Because nothing in our decree is mentioned in regards to travel, there was nothing barring the travel either. The commissioner mentioned some think it's not safe to travel, some think it is, but since nothing is prohibiting travel our trip was in the clear
    Did the commissioner give you written permission to take the child out of the country? Because without written permission the airline still won't let her on the plane. Make sure that you get it in writing.

However, the situation in Mexico is a LOT worse now than it was a month ago. Of course the situation in the US is a lot worse too in many parts of the country.

I’m interested in the general discussion about how risky is it really to take an 11 year old to Mexico, and I’m looking at current data directly from the CDC regarding provisional COVID-19 death counts by age. According to that data, between 2/1/20 and 6/27/20, total US COVID-19 deaths in the age group 5-14 years was 14 out of 112,226 total deaths for all ages, or 0.012% (12 thousandths of 1 percent). Deaths of any cause in the 5-14 ages were 1,995 out of 1,276,875, or 0.156% (156 thousandths of 1 percent), so 11-year-olds are about 13 times more at risk to die from causes other than COVID-19.

To put it in more general terms, children under 15 have been only a miniscule .026% of COVID-19 deaths by comparison to people 55+ who have been 92.514%. In Mexico the distribution of COVID-19 deaths by age group is likely to be quite similar.

Frankly based on the CDC stats I fail to see an unreasonable risk for taking the child to Mexico, especially for outside activities such as on a beach with social distancing.

The data I am using can be found at:
    data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Quote Quoting OutsideTheBox
    View Post
    I’m interested in the general discussion about how risky is it really to take an 11 year old to Mexico, and I’m looking at current data directly from the CDC regarding provisional COVID-19 death counts by age. According to that data, between 2/1/20 and 6/27/20, total US COVID-19 deaths in the age group 5-14 years was 14 out of 112,226 total deaths for all ages, or 0.012% (12 thousandths of 1 percent). Deaths of any cause in the 5-14 ages were 1,995 out of 1,276,875, or 0.156% (156 thousandths of 1 percent), so 11-year-olds are about 13 times more at risk to die from causes other than COVID-19.

To put it in more general terms, children under 15 have been only a miniscule .026% of COVID-19 deaths by comparison to people 55+ who have been 92.514%. In Mexico the distribution of COVID-19 deaths by age group is likely to be quite similar.

Frankly based on the CDC stats I fail to see an unreasonable risk for taking the child to Mexico, especially for outside activities such as on a beach with social distancing.

Why is this vacation so important to you? Is this now an "on principal" thing or is it a money thing, or something else? I think I mentioned to you once before that you could be traveling to any tropical destination that was a US possession and you would not need permission at all from the other parent.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Why is this vacation so important to you? Is this now an "on principal" thing or is it a money thing, or something else? I think I mentioned to you once before that you could be traveling to any tropical destination that was a US possession and you would not need permission at all from the other parent.
    You seem to be addressing me, but the OP is spokanedriver. All I can think of is timeshare possibly? Maybe we will get an update from the OP soon.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Did the commissioner give you written permission to take the child out of the country? Because without written permission the airline still won't let her on the plane. Make sure that you get it in writing.
    Which airline are you referring to here, and are you sure it's the same airline that the OP using (did the OP even mention a particular airline)? I ask because I have taken multiple flights with my kids, without the other parent, both domestic and international, and have never once been required to provide "written permission" (from either the other parent or a court) before boarding the plane. I have seen other folks over the years make similar claims on other legal boards, but I have never been pointed to any evidence that airline gate agents (who have tons of other responsibility at the time of boarding) require adults traveling with children to provide written permission notes or court orders before being allowed to board a plane.

Quote Quoting OutsideTheBox
    View Post
    Iím interested in the general discussion about how risky is it really to take an 11 year old to Mexico, and Iím looking at current data directly from the CDC regarding provisional COVID-19 death counts by age. According to that data, between 2/1/20 and 6/27/20, total US COVID-19 deaths in the age group 5-14 years was 14 out of 112,226 total deaths for all ages, or 0.012% (12 thousandths of 1 percent). Deaths of any cause in the 5-14 ages were 1,995 out of 1,276,875, or 0.156% (156 thousandths of 1 percent), so 11-year-olds are about 13 times more at risk to die from causes other than COVID-19.

Deaths do occur.Why gamble with the life of a child ?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    The problem is with that logic you'd have to put a child in status until they turn 18.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    A parent gambles with the life of his/her child every time they get into a car and every time the child leaves the house without the parent.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The problem is with that logic you'd have to put a child in status until they turn 18.
    Put a child "in status"?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Which airline are you referring to here, and are you sure it's the same airline that the OP using (did the OP even mention a particular airline)? I ask because I have taken multiple flights with my kids, without the other parent, both domestic and international, and have never once been required to provide "written permission" (from either the other parent or a court) before boarding the plane. I have seen other folks over the years make similar claims on other legal boards, but I have never been pointed to any evidence that airline gate agents (who have tons of other responsibility at the time of boarding) require adults traveling with children to provide written permission notes or court orders before being allowed to board a plane.
    I have also traveled internationally with my child without the other parent. However that was prior to 9/11. Many parents on these forums have stated that they were unable to travel internationally without written permission (or a copy of a court order giving permission). So, I know it happens. One parent managed to get out of the US, but almost couldn't get on a plane BACK to the US. I think they were visiting Germany.

Anyway, one really has to assume that they need that written permission, because it DOES happen.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Put a child "in status"?
    Autocorrect should have been "stasis".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast