Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harassment About Shared Places

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: CA

I subleased an in law room from the original tenant one and half year ago. In the beginning, not much problem, because I barely cook at home, mostly eat out. I donít use share places like kitchen spaces. She, 70 years old woman, cooks three times a day for three meals. I shared all utilities equally by head counts totaling 5. Right now, stay at home order in place and I donít work and mostly home. Here, the problem starts. I put my shoes rack in front of my door, put some food on the table (half spaces of the table), stores some meat and groceries in refrigerator (gave me only one shelf in it). The refrigerator is full of her stuff top and bottom doors. I use some space in the freezer. I have to cook at home in this situation to save my money then I buy lots of groceries to get a bulk discount. Sheís always harassing me about buying too much stuff, putting stuff on the table. Iím a day sleeper and always waking me up by noise, making loud murmuring. I signed a lease with her daughter who doesnít live with her. After one year of leasing, Iím in month to month basis. Pay rent and utilities on time, never missed even in this hard time. Sheís very good at creating fake evidence damage and putting on my head. Sheís doesnít want to share kitchen space and wanna monopolize it. Donít let me out my kitchenware and tableware, by saying I can use hers, so I giveaway all my stuff. Then she arguing I canít use her specific thing. Too much drama sheís creating. Please help, what are my options by law, I donít want to walk away in this moment.

Thank you.

Default Re: Harassment About Shared Places

Quote Quoting GentleTouch
    View Post
    I subleased an in law room from the original tenant one and half year ago. . . . I signed a lease with her daughter who doesn’t live with her.
    So...is the sublease with the woman or her daughter?

View Post
    Please help, what are my options by law, I don’t want to walk away in this moment.
    Not really sure what you're contemplating. If I'm understanding you have five people living in a single residence, so you all are going to have to learn to get a long. Nothing you posted raises any legal issue, and if you don't like the situation, your recourse is to move.

View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: CA
    .... I’m in month to month basis. ....
    Your option is to find a new place to live.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    So...is the sublease with the woman or her daughter?

Not really sure what you're contemplating. If I'm understanding you have five people living in a single residence, so you all are going to have to learn to get a long. Nothing you posted raises any legal issue, and if you don't like the situation, your recourse is to move.
    She and I live in downstairs in law units which have two private rooms, shared kitchen and shared bathroom, is in San Francisco. I sublease from her daughter who live in her own house. The old woman live by herself, the landlord family ( they are nice persons ) live upstairs.

How should I deal with this situation? What‘s her next move in legal side. As I mentioned in my post, now isn’t the good time to move out. I’m applying UI for pandemic.

View Post
    She and I live in downstairs in law units which have two private rooms, shared kitchen and shared bathroom, is in San Francisco. I sublease from her daughter who live in her own house. The old woman live by herself, the landlord family ( they are nice persons ) live upstairs.

How should I deal with this situation? What‘s her next move in legal side. As I mentioned in my post, now isn’t the good time to move out. I’m applying UI for pandemic.
    You should either move or learn to get along with your roommate. She doesn't need to have a "legal move."

View Post
    How should I deal with this situation?
    How to deal with a difficult roommate.

View Post
    What‘s her next move in legal side.
    I have no idea what this means. As I explained previously, your post does not raise any legal issue.

View Post
    now isn’t the good time to move out.
    Then you will have to figure out how to get along with this person.

View Post

Get a cheap bookcase at a thrift store. Get some cheap dishes and other kitchen items that you need. Store your non-perishable food and your kitchenware in your room. Keep only perishables in the kitchen. Try to avoid cooking when she is using the kitchen. Otherwise, you can complain to your landlord (her daughter) that she is not fairly sharing the kitchen, and see if that helps you out at all.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Get a cheap bookcase at a thrift store. Get some cheap dishes and other kitchen items that you need. Store your non-perishable food and your kitchenware in your room. Keep only perishables in the kitchen. Try to avoid cooking when she is using the kitchen. Otherwise, you can complain to your landlord (her daughter) that she is not fairly sharing the kitchen, and see if that helps you out at all.
    I donít use kitchen when sheís at home, I am avoiding her to get fight. Most of the time I eat out because of her, it cost me money. Her daughter isnít a landlord, she and her daughter leases the in-law downstairs unit from the landlord who live upstairs. In the beginning, she said I canít put my stuff in the kitchen area. If I canít put stuff how can I use kitchen. Sheís the one hard to get along, I heard she always has a problem with her co-workers.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

View Post
    I don’t use kitchen when she’s at home, I am avoiding her to get fight. Most of the time I eat out because of her, it cost me money. Her daughter isn’t a landlord, she and her daughter leases the in-law downstairs unit from the landlord who live upstairs. In the beginning, she said I can’t put my stuff in the kitchen area. If I can’t put stuff how can I use kitchen. She’s the one hard to get along, I heard she always has a problem with her co-workers.
    This just muddies the water.

If you signed the lease from your roommate's daughter then the daughter is YOUR landlord while the property owner's above are her landlord.

You can complain to the daughter and see how far that get's you, who knows, perhaps she's more than aware that mom is..difficult. That said, it's mom and that could certainly complicate your life seeing that you're month to month.

If you complain to the property owner you may cause problems for YOUR landlord. See above.

You have two real paths forward if you intend to stay. One is to get yourself out of your roommate's way and let her dominate the situation, which is what she's done so far. The second is to be more assertive. Insist on a more equitable split of space in the kitchen/fridge. ask her to be quieter when your sleeping but, if you're not working nights, this may become unreasonable since most of the world is moving around during the day.

Option 2 may still cause you problems but at least your advocating for yourself. Option 1 leaves you stuck right where you are now so I don't see anything but improvement...or ejection...if you go the self-advocacy route.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

In buildings with shared amenities, whether large or small, monopolization of those places by certain people is a very common problem. It involves one or two people claiming an area for which they do not have exclusive right of possession. It’s essentially stealing, because to get exclusive use they should be paying more rent money. Based on what I’ve observed, trying to get along usually does not work because the claimers will be aggressive about trying to defend their territory.

It would be helpful to know what exact language is in your lease agreement about use of the kitchen. You will need to tread a very fine line about using the kitchen according to your present needs while being extremely careful to be very even tempered with your neighbor. Any time she gets angry you need to calmly document the incident and report it in writing to your landlord. As far as having to move to solve the conflict, that advice should apply as much to her as it does to you. It does not matter who was there first. If she is claiming too much of the kitchen, you need to inform her firmly but politely that she will need to change some of what she is doing in order to respect the rights of her neighbors.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast