Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Harassment About Shared Places

Quote Quoting searcher99
    View Post
    In buildings with shared amenities, whether large or small, monopolization of those places by certain people is a very common problem. It involves one or two people claiming an area for which they do not have exclusive right of possession. Itís essentially stealing, because to get exclusive use they should be paying more rent money. Based on what Iíve observed, trying to get along usually does not work because the claimers will be aggressive about trying to defend their territory.

It would be helpful to know what exact language is in your lease agreement about use of the kitchen. You will need to tread a very fine line about using the kitchen according to your present needs while being extremely careful to be very even tempered with your neighbor. Any time she gets angry you need to calmly document the incident and report it in writing to your landlord. As far as having to move to solve the conflict, that advice should apply as much to her as it does to you. It does not matter who was there first. If she is claiming too much of the kitchen, you need to inform her firmly but politely that she will need to change some of what she is doing in order to respect the rights of her neighbors.
    Thank you for advice, I will try that..

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting searcher99
    View Post
    In buildings with shared amenities, whether large or small, monopolization of those places by certain people is a very common problem. It involves one or two people claiming an area for which they do not have exclusive right of possession. Itís essentially stealing, because to get exclusive use they should be paying more rent money. Based on what Iíve observed, trying to get along usually does not work because the claimers will be aggressive about trying to defend their territory.

It would be helpful to know what exact language is in your lease agreement about use of the kitchen. You will need to tread a very fine line about using the kitchen according to your present needs while being extremely careful to be very even tempered with your neighbor. Any time she gets angry you need to calmly document the incident and report it in writing to your landlord. As far as having to move to solve the conflict, that advice should apply as much to her as it does to you. It does not matter who was there first. If she is claiming too much of the kitchen, you need to inform her firmly but politely that she will need to change some of what she is doing in order to respect the rights of her neighbors.
    I agree with what you say except the chief complication seems to be a month to month current arrangement and the OP's LL is her housemate's daughter while the daughter's LL is the property owner. The mother/daughter thing makes this far more sticky since, I presume the daughter has a longer term arrangement with owner and the daughter only has to provide a notice to vacate with the minimum statutory notice, which is 60 days. So it becomes a game of chicken.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I wrote a draft report to her daughter, not yet sent, but one avocado ease the aggressive hen calm down. I put one avocado into her basket. Then she acts normal, she wanted to eat mine. Dang. She acts weirdly not by asking. Mostly it happens to uneducated persons. They had many tenants before me who never got along with her. Iím the one live almost two years, longest leasing tenant. People living in the city are moving out or breaking the lease to move out because of COVID-laid-offs.

If her daughter serves me a 60 days notice, what are my options? It’s not my fault.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2