Default Tape Over Broken Headlight Cover Catches Fire--Who Would Be Liable

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: CA

I put tape over my broken headlight cover.

I'm now selling the car. If the car catches fire on the new owner due to this cheap fix (i.e. tape sets on fire from the heat of the headlights), would I be responsible?

It's never happened to me over thousands of miles. But I don't want to be liable if it were to happen to someone else

This method was recommended to me by a mechanic since it's a low value car and not worth appropriately fixing.

Default Re: Tape Over Broken Headlight Cover Catches Fire--Who Would Be Liable

Quote Quoting Carl83209
    View Post
    I'm now selling the car. If the car catches fire on the new owner due to this cheap fix (i.e. tape sets on fire from the heat of the headlights), would I be responsible?
    I'm at a complete loss to understand what it might mean for a car to "catch[] fire on the new owner" or how a car might catch fire because someone put any kind of tape over a broken headlight cover. Seriously...what exactly are you contemplating here?

In any event, the answer is maybe, but not likely -- especially if the "cheap fix" is easily detectable or you make the buyer aware of it before selling.

Quote Quoting Carl83209
    View Post
    It's never happened to me over thousands of miles. But I don't want to be liable if it were to happen to someone else
    Then, if you ever sell the car, take the tape off.

Quote Quoting Carl83209
    View Post
    This method was recommended to me by a mechanic since it's a low value car and not worth appropriately fixing.
    Exactly how much do you think it will cost to replace the broken cover? I'll be you 100% of the cost that it's less than the cost of the ticket you'd receive if a cop decided to cite you for driving with a broken cover.

Default Re: Tape Over Broken Headlight Cover Catches Fire--Who Would Be Liable

Quote Quoting Carl83209
    View Post

I put tape over my broken headlight cover.

Put the words "AS IS" in your bill of sale, two copies, both signatures on both copies, keep a copy in your permanent file and don't lose any sleep over it.

1. Sponsored Links