Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is It Legal to Print Fake Pretend Play Money if We Change a Lot of Features

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

I have created my own board game which involves pretend money. I have found templates online which look like exact US money. I have photoshopped them to

1. Removed the word "Federal"
    2. Removed the Treasury's statement and signature
    3. Added the words "NOT A LEGAL TENDER"
    4. And most importantly, removed the photo of the president or the forefather and replaced it with a photo of my family member

Also, I am only printing black-n-white and only one sided.

Is it legal or I need to do more? What are some of the things I need to be wary of ?

Thanks

Default Re: Is It Legal to Print Fake Pretend Play Money if We Change a Lot of Features

Default Re: Is It Legal to Print Fake Pretend Play Money if We Change a Lot of Features

Is it legal or I need to do more?
    Probably something between what you are doing and Monopoly money.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffhp&q=mon...ages&ia=images

There's a lot of free printable play money online. See if any of that works for you.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=play+money...ages&ia=images

At the very least I suggest you make the bills smaller than regular size bill's so there's no mistaking it for regular money.

How about you post photos of both sides.

What are some of the things I need to be wary of ?
    Just one thing - Murphy's Law

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

Quote Quoting fahadash
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida
    Is it legal or I need to do more? What are some of the things I need to be wary of ?

Thanks
    I also suggest you make it less than 75% of the size of actual currency. Printing it only on one side and B&W only as you plan to do are also very useful. For details see the currency image use page provided by the U.S. government agencies that enforce the laws related to currency — Bureau of Printing and Engraving, the Secret Service, and the Federal Reserve.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I also suggest you make it less than 75% of the size of actual currency. Printing it only on one side and B&W only as you plan to do are also very useful. For details see the currency image use page provided by the U.S. government agencies that enforce the laws related to currency Bureau of Printing and Engraving, the Secret Service, and the Federal Reserve.
    I doubt there is anything to be concerned with seeing how Hollywood prints 'Monopoly money' for their personal use...and they even show the world that they do it.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I doubt there is anything to be concerned with seeing how Hollywood prints 'Monopoly money' for their personal use...and they even show the world that they do it.
    If one follows the requirements set out in the link I provided then it isn't a problem. Major film and TV producers have lawyers to advise them on this kind of stuff and they ensure that those rules are followed. It's not hard to do, and following those rules avoids any potential for trouble.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You can also assume it is REAL, what is seen that is, and the rest, hidden, is phony.

Crook displays a suitcase with 2 million dollars in it. What is seen on top is real hundreds, legal, right?

Under, green paper only. OR what's illegal about using 10 grand in real money for audience effect?

Note, that however UNLIKE real money you make it, if you try to spend it, you can be convicted. We get a story of someone trying to pass million dollar bills every few years.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    If one follows the requirements set out in the link I provided then it isn't a problem. Major film and TV producers have lawyers to advise them on this kind of stuff and they ensure that those rules are followed. It's not hard to do, and following those rules avoids any potential for trouble.
    Anything can be correct in theory but I doubt you have experience or proof of any of the above.

I don't mean to pick on you because you are a lawyer but bringing up possible scenarios as an argument is what lawyers do for a living. They throw out what-if's and hypotheticals with nothing to back it up. They quote a written law as though it will convict or vindicate a person when their assertion is all in theory...knowing the person they are quoting it to doesn't know anything about the conviction, application or acquittal rate either.

The basic requirement to do this is that the person you are scaring has to be naive. Kinda like trying to tell someone not to go 5mph over the speed limit. Though it is illegal to do, nobody, like a lawyer, would take out the law books and try to warn someone of the risks of going 5mph over the limit because the average person knows that law is not applied that way. It's much easier to sell an argument to a naive client or jury.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Anything can be correct in theory but I doubt you have experience or proof of any of the above.

I don't mean to pick on you because you are a lawyer but bringing up possible scenarios as an argument is what lawyers do for a living. They throw out what-if's and hypotheticals with nothing to back it up. They quote a written law as though it will convict or vindicate a person when their assertion is all in theory...knowing the person they are quoting it to doesn't know anything about the conviction, application or acquittal rate either.
    The law is what it is. The job of the lawyer when advising you is to tell you what that law is. What you do with that information is up to you. If you violate the law, there is always the chance that you'll get caught and prosecuted for it. Of course not everyone is caught nor is everyone who is caught ultimately prosecuted. A lot of factors go into both. People make decisions about what to do based on what they know (or think they know) about those things as well as weighing the risk vs. reward.

Now, as it happens, I know several people involved with producing movies. They tend to be rather conservative in their approach to legal matters. They don't want to risk legal troubles for them or their company, especially when (1) the consequences of violating the law can be severe and (2) it's easy and cheap to follow the law and still get the results you want. So when it comes to things like portraying cash in movies, they simply follow what the rules are for that to avoid the possible severe consequence, even if it's not all that likely, that they'd be prosecuted and convicted of a federal FELONY offense. The rules are easy to meet, so it's a pretty straightforward decision to make.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast