Default Is There Anyway to Combat This

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Virginia

My grandfather passed away last Jan. Shortly thereafter I was arrested and found not guilty by reason of insanity. Im currently in a state mental hospital.

My family is getting ready to release inheritance checks but has informed me that they intend to charge me for numerous items including damage to the room I was renting at my grandfather's house, the money they spent purchasing me canteen in jail among others. They intend to take $3800 of the $5000 my grandfather left me.

I feel this is pretty petty and kind of unfair. They want me to sign a paper giving them permission to take this money out of my inheritance. I originally agreed verbally but Im reluctant to sign away my only form of income.

Do I have any course of action to combat this?

Ok there was a misunderstanding. They're only taking 1200 out. The text my aunt sent me made it sound like they were only leaving me 1200. That covers the damages, car fines and taxes, and a few things they purchased me. Made me think they were charging me for everything they've given me over the last 18 months.

Default Re: Is There Anyway to Combat This

As a practical matter, probably not.

You're not in any position (financial or otherwise) to go to court over it.

You could try running a bluff and refusing to sign. The down side there is that they could go to court on behalf of the estate but that would cost the estate money that you would have to pay out of your inheritance.

That covers the damages, car fines and taxes, and a few things they purchased me. Made me think they were charging me for everything they've given me over the last 18 months.
    THEY weren't giving anything to you, the estate was and it was an advance on your inheritance. The state is entitled to be reimbursed for its expenses and any preliminary distribution made to you or on your behalf.

The good news is they're only taking out 1200. The text I got said the total came out to 3800 but they meant that's what I had left. I paid for the damages and my taxes and speeding ticket plus the nintendo switch I asked them to get me with the inheritance. Not charging me for hygiene items, clothing or canteen.

That's good.

Quote Quoting Hemispheres
    View Post
    The good news is they're only taking out 1200. The text I got said the total came out to 3800 but they meant that's what I had left. I paid for the damages and my taxes and speeding ticket plus the nintendo switch I asked them to get me with the inheritance. Not charging me for hygiene items, clothing or canteen.
    How incredibly petty.

View Post
    My grandfather passed away last Jan.
    I assume this means January 2019. Correct?

View Post
    You're certainly free not to sign the document that the executor wants you to sign. The executor will probably then have to seek approval from the probate court for the deduction, and you should have an opportunity to oppose that. If I had to guess, I'd say the deduction for damage you caused to the deceased's property would be allowed but that any money that someone else spent for your benefit would not be allowed.

1. Sponsored Links