Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Can a Business for Any Reason Give Out My Ssn Number

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    You can't post someones public information on the internet. That is against the law.
    Actually, there is no federal law that broadly prohibits that, and to my knowledge no state does either. Many Americans seem to think that their personal information is more protected under the law than it actually is. Of course laws that restrict certain kinds of disclosures (e.g. laws that prohibit medical facilities and health insurers from disclosing protected health information, laws that restrict financial institutions from making certain disclosures about customers) would apply to those disclosures being made on the internet just as they would to disclosures in other forms. In some circumstances you might be subject to civil liability for posting information on the internet that you have about someone, but that generally requires that you have a duty in the law to keep that information private in the first place. In a lot of contexts that duty does not exist and in those circumstances you are free to share the information you have. The privacy laws in this country are very much a patchwork of laws that apply in specific circumstances, so it can make it difficult to know what is protected and what is not. If you're not sure whether the disclosure you want to make is protected by some law then the prudent course of action is to not disclose it until you are sure.

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    Email's that have disclosures at the bottom can't be forwarded to other people without authorization.
    Just because an e-mail has a statement like that does not necessarily obligate the recipient to keep the e-mail private. The details of the e-mail and the relationship between the sender and recipient matter. A lot of law firms smack a confidentiality statement on all the e-mails they send as a matter of practice but just because that statement is there may not obligate the recipient to honor that. Those details I mentioned matter.

I dug a little deeper and found some USCS laws, federal laws I believe, that do prohibit these things but with exceptions. They are not broad, but specific. Posting anyone's identity, full name, etc, if they are under 18, is prohibited under federal law. Posting anyones information on the internet to cause harm, then there's cyberbullying, harassment, fall under similar categories of the USCS that does make it a crime to do such things.

Emails I'm not sure about, I skimmed quickly, but couldn't find anything specific enough.

So perhaps no law or broad law exists in my case with DCS since they their intent was not to cause personal harm (where I see it as somewhat similar to Identity Theft).

You need IBM's artificial intelligence big blue computer to even keep track of all this stuff to even know what is and is not a law, specific or broad. There's just too much

Well, given that TM is a lawyer, I'm sure he's perfectly capable of keeping track of all this stuff.

Are you now saying that DCS posted your SSN etc. on the internet?

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Well, given that TM is a lawyer, I'm sure he's perfectly capable of keeping track of all this stuff.

Are you now saying that DCS posted your SSN etc. on the internet?
    Has TM given you authorization to tell everyone reading this thread that he is a lawyer, and a male?

No human could keep track of every law, that is why I mentioned IBM computing and AI. Maybe a group of lawyers. But anyway. TM's responses were helpful, most likely because of his education and degree in law.

DCS used the internet to obtain my information from social media accounts, without verifying the actual identity of the person(s) they found.

Did I ever say DCS posted my information on the internet?

Have you considered working for MSM, such as CNN or NBC?

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    So perhaps no law or broad law exists in my case with DCS since they their intent was not to cause personal harm (where I see it as somewhat similar to Identity Theft).
    No, it's not identity theft. The state is not pretending to be you to commit some kind of fraud or other crime. Rather, what you fear is that the business receiving the garnishment order might somehow misuse it after it gets the order or might be careless in safeguarding your information which would allow someone to commit identity theft. If that were to happen you'd have a remedy against that business. But until then you've not suffered any harm from this and thus have nothing for which to sue. You cannot successfully sue for what might happen in the future.

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    You need IBM's artificial intelligence big blue computer to even keep track of all this stuff to even know what is and is not a law, specific or broad. There's just too much
    You don't need that. What you do is consult a lawyer who practices in the area of privacy law (or whatever area of law you need help with). That's one of the things lawyers are there for.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    No, it's not identity theft. The state is not pretending to be you to commit some kind of fraud or other crime. Rather, what you fear is that the business receiving the garnishment order might somehow misuse it after it gets the order or might be careless in safeguarding your information which would allow someone to commit identity theft. If that were to happen you'd have a remedy against that business. But until then you've not suffered any harm from this and thus have nothing for which to sue. You cannot successfully sue for what might happen in the future.

Right. That's how I see it. Since this is sensitive information, there is potential for abuse, fraud, etc after being received by the wrong businesses, people, so I relate it to that, or rather, a form of identity theft. I most likely couldn't blame DCS unless I can find some other law that would put the blame on them for furnishing it to the wrong people. Ho hum.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3