Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can a Business for Any Reason Give Out My Ssn Number

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Of course if someone else posted that you work for Employer X, DCS would have an obligation to investigate this claim.
    DCS would have no legal obligation to do any particular investigation of that claim. It probably would just shoot a garnishment order to that purported employer and let that company tell it whether the person is employed there or not.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    DCS would have no legal obligation to do any particular investigation of that claim. It probably would just shoot a garnishment order to that purported employer and let that company tell it whether the person is employed there or not.
    OK so no obligation at all! That just strengthens my facts - thanks TM!

(This reminds me of my 30+ years in HR. I have seen loads of garnish orders - all of them with the person's name and SSN/SIN - and while most of them were for actual current employees, many were for either ex- or unknown employees. For these, I would just send the garnish order back with either a "stopped working here on X date" or "never heard of this person" response.)

Pretty sure DCS cannot willy nilly send out my sensitive information to every business they think I might work for, be it something I set up, or something they think is mine.

It doesn't even have to be facebook. What if it was FakeBook where everything is fake?

Anyway, all I see is talk, deceit, and lies here. No facts or supporting information. RCW's, laws, regulations, etc are helpful. Arguing with me and calling me a liar is not helpful.

My name probably isn't borris. Maybe my cat is. Or my neighbors mongoose from 50 years ago. So is that a lie too? Why should I put my real information out on the internet where perverts, thieves and criminals can find it? Nope, never going to happen.

There doesn't have to be a law giving them permission to provide your SSN in a garnishment. As long as there isn't a law prohibiting it, it's legal.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    There doesn't have to be a law giving them permission to provide your SSN in a garnishment. As long as there isn't a law prohibiting it, it's legal.
    like button

View Post
    OK so no obligation at all! That just strengthens my facts - thanks TM!

(This reminds me of my 30+ years in HR. I have seen loads of garnish orders - all of them with the person's name and SSN/SIN - and while most of them were for actual current employees, many were for either ex- or unknown employees. For these, I would just send the garnish order back with either a "stopped working here on X date" or "never heard of this person" response.)
    A garnishment requires a court order and validates a debt. What DCS did was neither validated by a court nor ordered by a court to garnish my wages with "FakeCompany." If I set up a profile on Facebook for Samantha Brown and said she worked for Whirlpool and was in arrears with the child support order her ex-husband was granted..Well it is quite possible the very same thing could happen. There is no validation here by either DCS or Facebook that they have the correct Samatha Brown to send a child support garnishment order.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I'm sure there is a law, likely a broad law, that would prohibit this. There was enough information to open up credit cards and whatever else. Perhaps even identity theft, and may very well be DCS's fault because they would be at fault for sending it to the wrong person.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps that is a law that makes them exempt, so that they can just send this sensitive information out to anybody they think matches the person they are looking for.

They sent the sensitive information to an entity that you told them it was OK to send such information.

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    RCW's, laws, regulations, etc are helpful.
    The problem here is that under our legal system everything is legal unless some law says it isn't. So there doesn't have to be a law saying what use the agency may make of your SSN for it to be able to do it. Instead, if the agency is restricted in its use of the SSN there would need to be a law that restricts the use. So I can't point you to any law that says the agency is allowed to do as there is no such law. It can do it unless some law says it can't. I pointed you earlier to some of the federal laws that regulate the use of SSNs by state and local governments. Washington state law does not place any restrictions on DCS use of the SSN when sending out garnishment orders to collect child support, so that use of your SSN is legal.

Quote Quoting borris1212
    View Post
    Pretty sure DCS cannot willy nilly send out my sensitive information to every business they think I might work for, be it something I set up, or something they think is mine.
    It may certainly send out garnishment orders to businesses that it has some reason to think are employing you. Sending out a garnishment order to a business that you yourself claim to be employed by on your own social media is certainly not illegal for the agency to do. After all, if you are claiming to the world that you work there on your social media that gives the agency a reason to think you may work there. If you don't want that to happen then don't post claims on FB about where you work.

View Post
    The problem here is that under our legal system everything is legal unless some law says it isn't. So there doesn't have to be a law saying what use the agency may make of your SSN for it to be able to do it. Instead, if the agency is restricted in its use of the SSN there would need to be a law that restricts the use. So I can't point you to any law that says the agency is allowed to do as there is no such law. It can do it unless some law says it can't. I pointed you earlier to some of the federal laws that regulate the use of SSNs by state and local governments. Washington state law does not place any restrictions on DCS use of the SSN when sending out garnishment orders to collect child support, so that use of your SSN is legal.

It may certainly send out garnishment orders to businesses that it has some reason to think are employing you. Sending out a garnishment order to a business that you yourself claim to be employed by on your own social media is certainly not illegal for the agency to do. After all, if you are claiming to the world that you work there on your social media that gives the agency a reason to think you may work there. If you don't want that to happen then don't post claims on FB about where you work.
    like button

View Post
    like button
    Are you a robot or a parrot?

View Post

Thanks - Your post makes sense to me. But the internet should not be used as a way to verify a persons employment. When you work for an employer, your employer sends out 941s, W2's, pay state, local, federal taxes where applicable. This is how you verify a place of employment. Not the internet, where you can say anything you want. Look at expertlaw. It doesn't even have moderators.

DCS can't verify the account they found on Facebook is even mine, which is troubling. I would not be the first person this has happened to. It is possible they have sent my information out to other people thinking it was me and I would never know. Alarming. There are some interesting laws out there, even for the internet. You can't post someones public information on the internet. That is against the law. Email's that have disclosures at the bottom can't be forwarded to other people without authorization.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast