Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 18 Inches from Curb Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Huntington Beach CA.

My vehicle was parked less than 18 inches from the curb with the rear tires, however the front tires may or may not have been beyond 18 inches away, because the curb is at an intersection and the curb turned away from my tires. My vehicle was parallel to the curb. I would like to know if I should contest this ticket. I've parked the same way hundreds of times before with no violation, but with everything being shut down due to CoVid I believe they are trying to make up lost revenue. Please advise.

Default Re: 18 Inches from Curb Ticket

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post

My vehicle was parked less than 18 inches from the curb with the rear tires, however the front tires may or may not have been beyond 18 inches away, because the curb is at an intersection and the curb turned away from my tires. My vehicle was parallel to the curb. I would like to know if I should contest this ticket. I've parked the same way hundreds of times before with no violation, but with everything being shut down due to CoVid I believe they are trying to make up lost revenue. Please advise.
    What code section was cited? If it mirrors the state VC (22502(a)), both right-hand side wheels must be within 18" of the curb unless angled parking or front/rear end parking spaces are provided. You stand zero chance of prevailing if you contest it provided you were required to parallel park along the right hand curb.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post

In Long Beach, CA, right up the road from you, we have at least a dozen street sweepers that run five days a week. The City once disclosed that each street sweeper, followed by parking enforcement vehicles, yields at least $6,000 per vehicle, per day in street sweeping citations. Doing the math, that is a lost $2.8M.

They did not write these tickets for about two months. Well, the party is over. They are back to writing these tickets even during the lockdown and when people are stuck in their homes and are out of work. Along the beach they do not have sufficient parking to move their cars when the sweeper goes by. So, it will be a field day down there which SHOULD turn into a public revolt.

So are they back with a vengeance? YES, they are up the road from you.

You could fight it but parking enforcement has a camera on their citation machines. More than likely he took a photo of your tire being more than 18." So, my advice who has beaten parking tickets, pay this one...they want your money and have been going through with-drawls.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    What code section was cited? If it mirrors the state VC (22502(a)), both right-hand side wheels must be within 18" of the curb unless angled parking or front/rear end parking spaces are provided. You stand zero chance of prevailing if you contest it provided you were required to parallel park along the right hand curb.

That is the correct VC. Thanks for the advice, just thought it was odd having parked there the same way for years with nothing. Also Micah 6:8 my favorite verse.

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post
    That is the correct VC. Thanks for the advice, just thought it was odd having parked there the same way for years with nothing.
    You may have gotten fortunate, or there may be stepped up parking enforcement in your area. Hard to say which.

Also Micah 6:8 my favorite verse.
    Clearly in my top ten!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post
    My vehicle was parked less than 18 inches from the curb with the rear tires, however the front tires may or may not have been beyond 18 inches away,
    Did you take photos of the position of your car when you found the citation?

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post
    I've parked the same way hundreds of times before with no violation,
    Doesn't mean you did it right. This time you got caught and cited.

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post
    I would like to know if I should contest this ticket.
    You're asking anonymous strangers (most of whom aren't in California) whether you should contest a parking ticket (that is almost certainly less than $100) based on an ambiguous description of the facts?

Quote Quoting James4321
    View Post
    I've parked the same way hundreds of times before with no violation, but with everything being shut down due to CoVid I believe they are trying to make up lost revenue.
    So what? I have probably exceeded the posted speed limit for at least the last 7,000/7,000 days that I have driven but have not gotten a speeding ticket in at least 25 years. But every time I speed, I am subject to being cited. It matters not how often you've gotten away with it in the past.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    You're asking anonymous strangers (most of whom aren't in California whether you should contest a parking ticket (that is almost certainly less than $100) based on an ambiguous description of the facts?
    In case you do not know where you are, you are on a message board where anonymous strangers chat with each other. It is normal.

So what? I have probably exceeded the posted speed limit for at least the last 7,000/7,000 days that I have driven but have not gotten a speeding ticket in at least 25 years. But every time I speed, I am subject to being cited. It matters not how often you've gotten away with it in the past.
    No you are not! Not unless you are exceeding the posted speed limit by a excess amount.

There is the law, and there is the practiced law. You should learn the difference. Parking enforcement will likely write up any car parked that way if it is in their face. A cop will next to never write up a car for going 3mph over the speed limit.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post

No you are not! Not unless you are exceeding the posted speed limit by a excess amount.
    This is the second time you mentioned this. Do you think there is a law that says you can't be cited if you are going over the posted limit but not by "enough"? If so you are wrong. Just because they don't doesn't mean they can't. I can think of several places where 56 or 57 in a 55 zone will get you a ticket.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    This is the second time you mentioned this. Do you think there is a law that says you can't be cited if you are going over the posted limit but not by "enough"? If so you are wrong. Just because they don't doesn't mean they can't. I can think of several places where 56 or 57 in a 55 zone will get you a ticket.
    Common sense and personal experience says otherwise. There are laws and there are practiced/enforced laws. If you don't know the difference, you don't get out much.

Exactly where will 56 in a 55 most certainly get any driver a citation for speeding? I say BS! WHERE?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast