Default Gifted a Car from Executor of Estate, Never Received Title, Unable to Contact Them

My daughter was gifted a car from her late grandfathers estate by the executor. They are from NH and were are in NY. We already drove the car home here in NY but we don't have the title. We have tried numerous times over last 6 months to contact executor who gave her the car and have received absolutely no response. We are ready to put car on road, but without title we obviously can't. It's an older car with a value of only about $1200 and needs some work, but still decent for kid's first car.
    But now we are stuck with something that we can't title/register and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Gifted a Car from Executor of Estate, Never Received Title, Unable to Contact The

Read paragraph (d) of the following statute about posting a bond. Print it out.

Take your daughter, the car, the statute, and whatever paperwork you got when you got the car, to the DMV and say "I want to post a bond to get a title."

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-yor...ticle-46/2105/

This is the bond form.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv994.pdf

Default Re: Gifted a Car from Executor of Estate, Never Received Title, Unable to Contact The

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    My daughter was gifted a car from her late grandfathers estate by the executor.
    Please elaborate as to what this means. First, is your daughter's deceased grandfather your father or the father of your daughter's other parent? Second, does this mean that the will of the deceased provided that your daughter receive the car? If not, what does it mean? Also, because a LOT of folks get this wrong, was the person you referred to as "executor" actually appointed by the court to serve in that capacity?

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    They are from NH and were are in NY.
    "They" being the executor? And someone else? Can we safely assume that

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    We already drove the car home here in NY but we don't have the title.
    Out of curiosity, is your daughter a minor or an adult?

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    now we are stuck with something that we can't title/register and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?
    I would start by contacting the Division of Motor Vehicles in New Hampshire (or wherever the car was previously registered) about obtaining a lost title. However, without any evidence that your daughter is entitled to the title, she may have a tough time. Why didn't she obtain the title at the same time she took possession of the car from the "executor"?

Thanks for reply. The car belonged to my wifes stepfather. The executor is his daughter who lived with him. After, wife's mother died a few years back, we assumed that his daughter had him change his will when he started going downhill, and had my wife written out. Knowing nothing could be done about that, my wife just wanted her Moms sentimental collections so she kept up a friendly relationship with his daughter and we made numerous visits, especially when he got sick because my daughter was very close to him.

After he died, when we were there, she said her Dad would have wanted our daughter to have the car now that she is turning 16 and getting ready to drive. She told us since it's still has insurance all paid, to drive it back to NY. That was last year. She said mail us the title along with death certificate.

Since then all phone calls and texts and a letter, went unanswered. We texted her husband and he only replied once saying he would pass the messages on. But for past 6 months, they just ignore us, even my daughters texts. What really sucks is this car, while old, has alot of sentimental value to my daughter who will be getting her license soon. Again, it's not worth much and needs work, but with no title, Im not going to fix it up. I have heard of a bonded title, and will look into that I guess. Other than that, I'm not even sure a junk yard would take it with no title.

I have heard about a bonded title and will look into it since it might be my only option. Thanks for the links

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    I have heard of a bonded title, and will look into that I guess.
    Of course you've heard of it, I just told you about it. LOL.

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    Other than that, I'm not even sure a junk yard would take it with no title.
    Seriously. It's NY. Call around and offer it for free. One of them take it and you can just drop it off.

If not, Craigslist - Free Car - No title. It'll be gone in a NY minute.

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    What really sucks is this car, while old, has alot of sentimental value to my daughter
    She'll get over it.

1. Sponsored Links