Default Haven't Filed Taxes for a Few Years

State: Missouri

Situation: I worked out of state for a few years (Texas) and have not filed a return during this time. I've never paid much attention to these things since I always claim zero dependents. Something I did not even consider since I have never worked out of state and kept a residence in another (Missouri) state is state taxes. The state I was working in has not state income tax. This can be paid but now I'm concerned about state taxes.

Question: Will they charge me a "significant" penalty when I file taxes? Should I get a Tax Attorney to deal with any issues relating to this?

Default Re: Haven't Filed Taxes for a Few Years

Quote Quoting Octave
    View Post
    State: Missouri
    Question: Will they charge me a "significant" penalty when I file taxes? Should I get a Tax Attorney to deal with any issues relating to this?
    Assuming you were a resident of Missouri for those years you did not file and that you owe income tax on the returns you file late the state will add a late filing penalty of 5% of the tax due for each month that the return is filed late with a maximum penalty of 25%. So if the return is filed 5 or more months late your late filing penalty is 25% of the tax due on the return. The state also charges a late payment penalty and interest on the tax due as well. The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) provides an online penalty and interest calculator to help you figure out exactly how much is due.

So far I'm not seeing anything here that you'd need a tax attorney for. I suggest that you prepare the returns that you need to file and see how much you owe and use the online calculator to figure out the total due. Once you have that information you can then decide how best to deal with the situation you have. If you can't pay the full amount owed right away you can ask the DOR about an installment agreement or other payment options.

I agree with Taxing Matters but I will also point out that even if you maintained a home is Missouri its not a given that you remained a Missouri resident if you were living and working in Texas. Its possible that Missouri can still claim you as a resident and therefore require that you pay Missouri tax on your income, but its also possible for you to fight that depending on the overall circumstances.

I will also point out that on a federal level if you have been claiming zero dependents you may be gifting the federal government some of your money. You still have the opportunity to file for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 and get a refund if you are due one. You might want to go ahead and do that. The opportunity for 2016 will expire on 7/15/2020

Thank you Taxing Matters and llworking for your responses. They are much appreciated.

llworking. I was never a resident of TX. Can this still work? Concerning "but its also possible for you to fight that depending on the overall circumstances" what can I google or is there any information you could provide to set me on that path?

FYI: I have posted to multiple sites trying to gather together as much information as possible. Somebody pointed that out to me in a response. It's my habit as a systems admin that if I do not know anything about a subject matter I try to aggregate as much as possible to understand the problem I'm dealing with better. As we all do. No offense meant.

Quote Quoting Octave
    View Post
    Thank you Taxing Matters and llworking for your responses. They are much appreciated.

llworking. I was never a resident of TX. Can this still work? Concerning "but its also possible for you to fight that depending on the overall circumstances" what can I google or is there any information you could provide to set me on that path?

FYI: I have posted to multiple sites trying to gather together as much information as possible. Somebody pointed that out to me in a response. It's my habit as a systems admin that if I do not know anything about a subject matter I try to aggregate as much as possible to understand the problem I'm dealing with better. As we all do. No offense meant.
    Ok, then if you want to understand the problem better, and get better advice, prepare the returns so that you have real numbers to ask people about.

1. Sponsored Links