Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got Caught Shoplifting a Few Years Ago and Want Unbanned

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Pennslyvania

It was a huge misunderstanding but was never charged due to taking a class. It was in Giant Eagle which is a retailer in PA. I had food and soda under my cart and I thought she had rung these items. She didn't so cops were called. I paid the fines and took the class but said I was banned. it's been a few years I know have a family and our local store is Giant Eagle. I do shop there occasionally but only remembered when found paperwork I was banned (this incident happened at another location then one I shop in). I don't know how could have forgot. My wife made me write a letter asking for permission to be let back in. I haven't heard anything and it's been two weeks. Has anyone had success with this in generalor success with this at Giant Eagle? They are the largest retail grocery shop. I apologized for my mistake and explained I was in the wrong and sorry.

Default Re: Got Caught Shoplifting a Few Years Ago and Want Unbanned

Responding to thieves is probably not on their priority list, especially with ll the COVID issues. Two weeks is nothing with regard to response time in situations like this. Do you think operators are standing buy to research convicted criminal's who suddenly say their sorry and want trespass bans released? I'd give it a little more time and then try again, perhaps thinking about whether the place you sent the first letter was the most appropriate.

First, as I explained the reason everything was dropped was because it was a mistake the cashier admitted never rang it up. Secondly, I did send it to the right area. I was seeking advice.

My advice is to wait longer for a response, understanding that your situation is not a high priority for them.

Legally, you should probably wait for a response and it may take a while given the current situation.

As someone who used to work in Loss Prevention, you are probably safe to continue shopping there if the store is a good ways away from the store where the incident occurred and if it has been more than 3-5 years. Hopefully you didn't tell corporate the store you are shopping in now. It is unlikely under those conditions that anyone is going to recognize you as having been banned. They aren't going to be going through receipts looking for names of people who have been banned.
    I am the Mouse Man

Thank you so much. Yes, this time has been crazy and I understand that. Yes, this location is about 1/2 hour drive away. I didn't say I was shopping there but have been using my perks card. Like I said I totally forgot and its been about 2 1/2 3 years since this happened. Thank you for the advice using your loss prevention experience.

Quote Quoting Justwondering1234
    View Post
    I didn't say I was shopping there but have been using my perks card. L
    We can only respond based on the information provided. From your OP:

View Post
    I do shop there occasionally
    I am the Mouse Man

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Pennslyvania

It was a huge misunderstanding but was never charged due to taking a class. It was in Giant Eagle which is a retailer in PA. I had food and soda under my cart and I thought she had rung these items. She didn't so cops were called. I paid the fines and took the class but said I was banned. it's been a few years I know have a family and our local store is Giant Eagle. I do shop there occasionally but only remembered when found paperwork I was banned (this incident happened at another location then one I shop in). I don't know how could have forgot. My wife made me write a letter asking for permission to be let back in. I haven't heard anything and it's been two weeks. Has anyone had success with this in generalor success with this at Giant Eagle? They are the largest retail grocery shop. I apologized for my mistake and explained I was in the wrong and sorry.
    I do not agree that you made a mistake. Since when is it the customer's duty to observe what the checker scans and does not scan? How would it be shoplifting if the checker forgot to look under the basket? Where is the intent to steal when you walked through the check out process the same as anyone else?

Is it theft upon the customer when the checker double scans items or when items ring up for the wrong price? NO!

IMO, the store would be hard pressed to obtain a conviction for theft under those conditions, which is why they did not pursue it and opted to threaten you for their mistake instead.

Also, a ban letter, depending how it was served, signed and agreed to, is not a legal action and most likely can be just thrown away and disregarded.

You are not a shoplifter or a thief, and anyone who calls you that should apologize.

I agree but when I left the store they stated I should have told them there were items under there. The cops were called and tried to explain. However, the area I was in for my job is high crime rate. They dropped charges after I took a 5 hour class on why stealing is wrong. My lawyer told me it would be easier to do this, pay the fine have it expunged which this all happened. Basically my fine was paying the price of the groceries (which I initially did state when all this happened) I walked out and security sensors beeped, I walked in and was like excuse me I think you forgot to ring this up and how much was it. That is when they said had intent to steal. The cops had no choice. So that is the story the short version. It's been 2 1/2 years I was cleaning out our spare bedroom as we have twins on the way and found the paper work and saw I had signed something that day saying can't come back. I didn't remember signing it honestly and put whole incident behind us. But I do shop at a different location and use my perks card. So wrote the letter. Wasn't sure if anyone had luck with this at all? As a friend who is a lawyer suggested this and heard bigger chains like Kohls and Walmart respond positively in most cases. My wife told me to stop shopping there for time being since could be considered trespassing. I am concerned I guess if they say no. Not many options other than this retailer where I live.

Why folks continue to post about things like this and include the names of the retailers continues to baffle me.

View Post
    It was a huge misunderstanding but was never charged due to taking a class. It was in . . . a retailer in PA. I had food and soda under my cart and I thought she had rung these items. She didn't so cops were called. I paid the fines and took the class but said I was banned.
    I don't understand your statement that "It . . . was never charged." If you paid a fine, then you almost certainly were charged with a crime.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear that you're asking any sort of legal question. Whether or not the retailer allows you to shop at its stores again is entirely up to it and is not a legal issue.

View Post
    I was seeking advice.
    The question you asked does not solicit advice. Rather, as best as I could understand it, you were soliciting anecdotal information specific to the retailer you identified. The chances that someone with a similar experience will respond here are virtually nil.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast