Default Relatives Are Stealing from Me. As a Senior and New to This State, What Do I Do

My question involves criminal law for the state of: FL

I purchased a home and moved to FL in midst of coronavirus shutdowns. Lots of delays with the closing so stayed with a relative 3 weeks in their home. I am unpacking and keep finding items, many items that have "vanished" from my home. Some are valuable/expensive and some have very sentimental value. I am a senior and have only this one relative nearby. He/she has been in my home within the past two weeks helping assemble furniture and unpack. Now every day I am discovering more and more of my personal belongings, tools, electronics that have vanished without a trace. For past two weeks NO ONE has been inside my home except me and the relative and spouse. I have talked to the neighbors and there is no history of crime or break-ins; no sign of a break-in anywhere on the property. My relative who had financial problems when I came down here is now buying new television, hot tub, expensive spa treatment for spouse. Do I need to "prove" that it is the relative? How do I report the missing items? How can I find out if they have been sold or pawned? If I call the local sheriff's office, will they take my concerns seriously? I have no experience at all with being a crime victim, no one to turn to, and don't know what to do. Have changed all the locks on the house and garage door; have put up exterior lighting; have interior security camera now, but not yet installed. Have stopped letting relative into my home but am still discovering things missing each day as I unpack, organize and put things away. I am worried and scared.

Default Re: Relatives Are Stealing from Me. As a Senior and New to This State, What Do I Do

Have you asked your relative where she/he may have put them when unpacking because you can't find them?

Right now all you have is circumstantial evidence that they are responsible. Who else could it be, right? You would need proof that they took the items. Who made the move for you? Is it possible that they stole you property?

You can make a list of all the missing property and stop by the local sheriff's office and tell your story. They will tell you if you should file a police report.

Default Re: Relatives Are Stealing from Me. As a Senior and New to This State, What Do I Do

Quote Quoting Old Doc
    View Post
    am still discovering things missing each day as I unpack, organize and put things away. I
    Did you have help packing at your former residence?

1. Sponsored Links