Default Self Storage Break in Storage Owner Negligent and Responsible

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: oklahoma
    I have been renting a self storage space for almost 2 years. About a year ago I noticed that the security camera that was closest to my unit was broken and hanging by wires. I informed the owner and was told it would be taken care of. I live in another state and was storing tools in the unit to use when I was in town working on a business I own there. I haven't been there in several months. Two days ago the owner of the place called and told me my unit had been broken into. The owner also informed me that other storage place owners had told them that they had recent break ins. The perpetrator entered my unit not by cutting my (recommended disc style lock), but rather by cutting a part of the locking hasp thats attached to the door. The owner then mentioned that the units hasp next to mine was modified by a previous tenant to prevent this sort of entry.

The owner of the facility has stated that they don't provide insurance for loss of tenants belongings, which I understand is typical. However, I feel that the owner has been negligent on at least three counts and should be liable for my loss of nearly $5,000 in tools and equipment.

1. The owner failed to repair a security camera that was visibly non functional and by failing to do so, let would be criminals know for a fact that my unit wasn't under surveillance.
    2. Owner acknowledged a weak point in the doors hasp that could be compromised without re-enforcement, and failed to make the modification to other units or inform me of the weak area at the time I moved in.
    3. Owner had recent conversations with other area storage space owners that had been experiencing break ins, and took no further action to inform or protect their own tenants.

Default Re: Self Storage Break in Storage Owner Negligent and Responsible

1. The owner failed to repair a security camera that was visibly non functional and by failing to do so, let would be criminals know for a fact that my unit wasn't under surveillance.
    You knew the camera was inoperative a year ago yet you kept your stuff there and did nothing about it.

2. Owner acknowledged a weak point in the doors hasp that could be compromised without re-enforcement, and failed to make the modification to other units or inform me of the weak area at the time I moved in.
    No, he didn't acknowledge a weak point. He told you that another tenant did his own modification. Which you could have done.

3. Owner had recent conversations with other area storage space owners that had been experiencing break ins, and took no further action to inform or protect their own tenants.
    Did he have a duty to do so? What does your rental contract say about security?

Frankly, I think you would have a tough sell trying to convince a judge that the owner was negligent. You're welcome to try.

Didn't you have insurance on your tools?

Default Re: Self Storage Break in Storage Owner Negligent and Responsible

You didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what sort of responses you're expecting or seeking.

As to points #1 and #2, you told us that you knew about the camera and that the owner advised you about this "weak point," but you continued to store your property there despite having that knowledge and having been so advised. Also, your post doesn't affirmatively say that, in the year since you noticed that the camera was broken and the time of the break in, the camera hadn't been fixed. You also don't seem to indicate that you've been back in a year, so how do you know the present condition?

As to point #3, how do you know?

1. Sponsored Links