Default Temporary Order Protection Hearing Process and Risks

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Washington. King County. One of my roommates has filed this against me for harassment claiming unwanted emails/calls etc. And also threats of violence, or intimidation. The only document I received is called a Temporary Order for Protection and Notice of Hearing (TMORPRT), which does not actually delineate the claims. I have a hearing scheduled. What will happen at the hearing? Can I concede? Is that stupid? What are the consequences of the Temp Order going Permanent - for my record and for the Order? If I do not spend the money on an atty what should I be prepared to do solo at the hearing? (Yes, I know...but it could financially come down to moving out or fighting this.)

Default Re: Temporary Order Protection Hearing Process and Risks

Quote Quoting turin07
    View Post
    My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Washington. King County. One of my roommates has filed this against me for harassment claiming unwanted emails/calls etc. And also threats of violence, or intimidation. The only document I received is called a Temporary Order for Protection and Notice of Hearing (TMORPRT), which does not actually delineate the claims. I have a hearing scheduled. What will happen at the hearing? Can I concede? Is that stupid? What are the consequences of the Temp Order going Permanent - for my record and for the Order? If I do not spend the money on an atty what should I be prepared to do solo at the hearing? (Yes, I know...but it could financially come down to moving out or fighting this.)
    If the hearing goes your roommate's way it is quite possible that you would be immediately barred from the property, possibly without the opportunity to collect your belongings. If there is anything important to you in the residence you might want to get it out now.

If I were in your shoes I would do my best to immediately move out...like yesterday. Even if your roommate doesn't win at the hearing, you are in a bad situation that may only get worse.

Thx. What exactly happens at the hearing? All I really have is my testimony and a few notes that she wrote. Can I use a letter attesting to her behavior from a prev roommate? I would rather appeal to the overseer somehow and just bow out. I have nothing to fight for physically. Just going to move on.

Quote Quoting turin07
    View Post
    Thx. What exactly happens at the hearing?
    The Petitioner will tell her story. You'll tell yours. The judge will make a decision.

Quote Quoting turin07
    View Post
    All I really have is my testimony and a few notes that she wrote. Can I use a letter attesting to her behavior from a prev roommate?
    If the previous roommate's testimony is exculpatory you should have that person in the courtroom to testify or your opponent may be able to get the document excluded before you get a chance to read it.

Quote Quoting turin07
    View Post
    I would rather appeal to the overseer somehow and just bow out. I have nothing to fight for physically. Just going to move on.
    Move on. Best to move out ASAP rather than be put out, which is quite likely if the restraining order is made permanent. You really need to move out of there before the hearing, no matter what it takes.

Yes, I'm moving out before the hearing, but if she goes ahead with the order anyway then I have long-term problems on my record no?

Quote Quoting turin07
    View Post
    Yes, I'm moving out before the hearing,
    That will get you points with the judge and may get the order cancelled since you are away from her.

A word of advice. Never live with roommates (never rent a room in somebody's house), no matter what. I've read thousands of posts about roommate arrangements turning into nightmares, just like yours did.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    That will get you points with the judge and may get the order cancelled since you are away from her.

A word of advice. Never live with roommates (never rent a room in somebody's house), no matter what. I've read thousands of posts about roommate arrangements turning into nightmares, just like yours did.
    Lots of people live happily as roommates too. We just don't see them here. We see the people with problems here. I lived happily with every roommate I ever had in my younger years.

It was rescheduled because as I said I did not recv the petition. Sigh. More waiting.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    The problem with getting your impressions of things from sites like these is that the people coming here are just the ones that had problems. The reality is that there are more situations where roommates have worked out well than not. But you wouldn't know it reading these boards. People with situations that turned out well don't need to come to a site to ask advice about it. So if your only impression of roommate situations is what you read here, you get a very skewed impression of how well they work out.

You've made similar comments about going into business with others as partners, too. Again, the same principle applies: you get a skewed view of it reading posts on legal message boards. The only ones who come here are those who complain about their business partners; we don't see here all the times it worked out well. Yet I know there are lots of partnerships that worked out well because I've had clients that have done well in business with others. It helped that they got good advice when setting it up — getting good written partnership agreements, etc., but even people that didn't get that have had good partnerships.

Just because roommate or partnership arrangements don't work for some (like the people we see here) is no reason to think that's the case for all or most such arrangements. Most work out fine, especially with proper planning and advice.

1. Sponsored Links