Default Did I Threaten My Co-Worker He Claims I Did

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: New York

I had a co-worker who I was certain was complaining about me to other co-workers.

I was not happy about it because I am worried that it will get back to my boss and what he is saying is completely false.

So I wrote him a text with exactly the following, which he claims is a threat.

I wrote him "If you say anything about me to others, it will put me in a bad position, because it will get back to the bosses and I will have no choice but to tell my side of the story of what was said about me. It would look really bad for both of us.

What is the real side is this guy gets drunk on the job and doesn't want to do the proper job. Then he gets made at me when I want to do the proper job because I know it will eventually be seen we are not doing the right job. I am right 100% here as I am very careful about the quality of my work. This guy is lazy and then gets mad when I want to do just a little more work to get the job done right. The drinking doesn't help because he gets lost to drink and then gets lazy. Then he goes and complains to other co-workers about me with stuff like I'm difficult to deal with and we are not getting along. This kind of stuff makes me look bad because the boss wants everyone to get along so their life is easier.

Did I threaten him in that text? When I wrote it I tried to make it known to him that if him complaining about me to others, I'm going to tell my side of the story, why wouldn't I? It seem like a threat but I don't really think it is.

Default Re: Did I Threaten My Co-Worker He Claims I Did

Quote Quoting Ed209
    View Post
    Did I threaten him in that text? When I wrote it I tried to make it known to him that if him complaining about me to others, I'm going to tell my side of the story, why wouldn't I? It seem like a threat but I don't really think it is.
    Well, you threatened to tell your side of the story, nothing more. But that sort of thing is not illegal. Had you threatened to harm him in some way, that can be a crime.

Quote Quoting Ed209
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: New York

I had a co-worker who I was certain was complaining about me to other co-workers.

I was not happy about it because I am worried that it will get back to my boss and what he is saying is completely false.

So I wrote him a text with exactly the following, which he claims is a threat.

I wrote him "If you say anything about me to others, it will put me in a bad position, because it will get back to the bosses and I will have no choice but to tell my side of the story of what was said about me. It would look really bad for both of us.

What is the real side is this guy gets drunk on the job and doesn't want to do the proper job. Then he gets made at me when I want to do the proper job because I know it will eventually be seen we are not doing the right job. I am right 100% here as I am very careful about the quality of my work. This guy is lazy and then gets mad when I want to do just a little more work to get the job done right. The drinking doesn't help because he gets lost to drink and then gets lazy. Then he goes and complains to other co-workers about me with stuff like I'm difficult to deal with and we are not getting along. This kind of stuff makes me look bad because the boss wants everyone to get along so their life is easier.

It does not seem like a threat to me, but I can see how it might have appeared as a threat to him.

Quote Quoting Ed209
    View Post

Any time you say "If you do this, I'll do that" it's a threat.

Worse, writing to the guy like that may only serve to escalate his animosity toward you.

What you should have been doing is reporting his inebriation to the employer. But not that he "was" drunk but that he "is" drunk. In other words. "Boss, come here and see this. Joe is drunk." That way, Joe can be caught on the spot and there will be no doubt or defense.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You mean threatening like: "If you apply your brakes, I will apply mine too?"

No, sometimes it's a offer for a contract.

In other cases, it can be extortion.

It all matters what "this" and "that" are.

Your employer/HR will decide if this is a threat under their employment policies if it is turned in. May not be the legal definition of a "threat", but employers can and often do have stricter standards.

OP should have reported the issue to his manager and allowed them to handle job performance issues.

Quote Quoting Ed209
    View Post
    Did I threaten him in that text?
    Yes. Your text contains an implied, conditional threat to reveal information that "would look really bad for" your co-worker.

But so what? Slapping the "threat" label on something, by itself, is of no real significance unless your employer has some sort of personal bugaboo about "threats."

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Really? Bob Barker used to tell folks that, if they spin the wheel and land on $1.00, they will win $1,000. I once told a friend, "if you give me $5, I'll jump off the roof of my house into the pool." Neither of those things seem like threats to me.

1. Sponsored Links