Default Leased Conex Boxes

My question involves business law in the state of: VA

I own a smallish honey operation / farm. In January I leased three 40' conex boxes due to the lack of storage and some bulk buys before COVID-19 hit the supply chain for the supplies I use.

The leasing company had 2 types of leases. The first was a auto renew where you had to cancel and the second was for a set amount of time with everything prepaid and that's what I took.

My contract says I have to let them know 10 business days before if I wanted to extend my lease.

Lease #1 ended March 31 2020 and they picked up the box on April 5 with no issues.
    Lease #2 ended April 30 2020. They will not pick up the box and are trying to charge me for 2 more months.
    Lease #3 ends June 30 2020. No issues as of yet, but looks like there are issues in the works.

I have scanned and emailed copies of the 3 leases and there telling me there computer has the second and third lease in as an auto renew. I have been playing telephone tag with the managers, but it's looking as if they want me to pay for there issues. Due to COVID-19 it looks as if a lot of the staff are working from home.

I do have an appointment with my lawyer on May 28, but looking for some suggestions on how to handle it till then.
    Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Leased Conex Boxes

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post
    My question involves business law in the state of: VA

I own a smallish honey operation / farm. In January I leased three 40' conex boxes due to the lack of storage and some bulk buys before COVID-19 hit the supply chain for the supplies I use.

The leasing company had 2 types of leases. The first was a auto renew where you had to cancel and the second was for a set amount of time with everything prepaid and that's what I took.

My contract says I have to let them know 10 business days before if I wanted to extend my lease.

Lease #1 ended March 31 2020 and they picked up the box on April 5 with no issues.
    Lease #2 ended April 30 2020. They will not pick up the box and are trying to charge me for 2 more months.
    Lease #3 ends June 30 2020. No issues as of yet, but looks like there are issues in the works.

I have scanned and emailed copies of the 3 leases and there telling me there computer has the second and third lease in as an auto renew. I have been playing telephone tag with the managers, but it's looking as if they want me to pay for there issues. Due to COVID-19 it looks as if a lot of the staff are working from home.

I do have an appointment with my lawyer on May 28, but looking for some suggestions on how to handle it till then.
    Thank you for your time.
    THey need to reset their computer. Just make sure #2 is empty and waiting for them.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post

I can't read your contracts from here so I'm not going to speculate.

Your obligation is what is written in your contract.

Let your lawyer handle this.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post
    What does "trying to charge" mean? Either the company is charging you or it isn't.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post
    I'm not really sure that there's anything to "handle." If lease #2 ended on 4/30 and you made the leased item available for pick up, then there's no issue. If the leasing company is billing you for stuff that shouldn't be billed, you simply don't pay and tell the company representatives why you're not paying.

We swept out the conex box on April 27 took pics of it and zip tied the box shut.

"Trying to charge" is them sending us a bill and me not paying it.

I know I did not post the contracts on line as it would also be a slap in the face to the company I'm leasing from and that's not what I want to do.

So with me sending them copy's of the contracts and calling them is all the due diligence law I need to do at this point?

Thank you.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post
    We swept out the conex box on April 27 took pics of it and zip tied the box shut.

I know I did not post the contracts on line as it would also be a slap in the face to the company I'm leasing from and that's not what I want to do.

So with me sending them copy's of the contracts and calling them is all the due diligence law I need to do at this point?

Thank you.
    You need to do nothing else unless and until they come back with something in the lease that shows you owe them money.

Accept maybe tell them when they come they can get both containers.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post
    So..."trying to charge" means exactly the same thing as "charging" but with 8 more keystrokes.

Quote Quoting gravelpad
    View Post

I don't think anyone expected or wants you to post the contracts, and I don't understand the question. As I wrote previously, "If lease #2 ended on 4/30 and you made the leased item available for pick up, then there's no issue. If the leasing company is billing you for stuff that shouldn't be billed, you simply don't pay and tell the company representatives why you're not paying." At some point, I assume you're going to want the 40' box off your property, but I imagine the company will get it before it becomes a real issue. If your company/farm is a corporation or LLC, then just deal with it if it gets sued. If this is you personally, then keep an eye on your credit report.

1. Sponsored Links