Default Recovering an Impounded Vehicle Without Official Proof of Registration in My Name

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: OR

My vehicle was recently lost in an unfamiliar commercial area In suburban Portland. It was eventually reported abandoned and impounded.

However, Iím having difficulty in proving ownership of the vehicle, so that I can release it to myself. The van was purchased recently during the Covid Crisis, which shut down the DMV, and prevented me from registering it with the state. Yet I continued to drive it, perhaps mistakenly.

In considering this, can I prove ownership by other means, without the official record of state registration? For example, I do possess the signed vehicle title indicating transfer of ownership to myself, along with a bill of sale. I have several identifying legal documents in the vehicle linking me to the car? Does any of this matter?

Any hope here? Lost cause? Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Recovering an Impounded Vehicle Without Official Proof of Registration in My Name

Contact the impounding agency and present them with the documents you have. It may well be sufficient to prove ownership - particularly if the prior owner can be reliably identified and contacted.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Recovering an Impounded Vehicle Without Official Proof of Registration in My Name

What happened when you contacted whomever has possession of the vehicle and either explained the circumstances or showed someone the documentation you have?

Regardless of what anyone here might tell you, the only thing that will matter is what the person/entity in possession of the vehicle will accept.

1. Sponsored Links