Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Interview Discrimination

Quote Quoting Posey
    View Post
    I understand your statement. Clearly, Covid19-virulence-Opinion discrimination is not going to be passed into law anytime soon, but I'm a single parent with a child at home & I've been deny a chance at a job that fits my situation's narrow criteria for work based on an assumption. This isn't just a matter of opposing opinions. This has serious consequences for me. But I understand it is legal. Thank you for your time.
    Probably should have considered that before you ".. had a civil but slightly tense conversation with an friendly-acquaintance Manager X at my local upscale national grocery store over what I considered over-exaggerated risk-prevention measures over Covid19." That was probably NOT the time or the place to have such a discussion with a "friendly acquaintance" because that "slightly tense conversation" made it higher up to management and HR such that you tainted yourself. In the end, it seems like you had an out of place discussion with someone you don't really know in a place that isn't their to make friendships where opinions such as yours can be expressed with no consequences.

You failed to realize that you probably made the manager and other customers/employees uncomfortable AND that this policy probably wasn't set by that manager based on YOUR beliefs and you tried to sway his/hers at a time where they had more important things to deal with...

you burnt that bridge royally for many reasons. And no there is no requirement that once the interviewer associatd that conversation with this interview that they had to continue on...nothing you did/stated was protected.

No one said it wasn't discrimination. Just that it wasn't ILLEGAL discrimination.

I disagree. I am not a sheeple. I am a strong proponent of civil discussion, especially when people are being fooled. I refuse to live silent in fear that some person in authority may not agree with me sometime in the future. That's not living free. What she did was morally wrong. Just because there's no legal recourse doesn't change that.

Quote Quoting Posey
    View Post
    I disagree. I am not a sheeple. I am a strong proponent of civil discussion, especially when people are being fooled. I refuse to live silent in fear that some person in authority may not agree with me sometime in the future. That's not living free. What she did was morally wrong. Just because there's no legal recourse doesn't change that.
    And you have every right to feel that way. But you need to be prepared to live with the consequences of contrarian beliefs.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Posey
    View Post
    You're trying to claim the moral high ground but in so doing your saying that the manager doesn't get to hire who they choose. So, really, you're just sore about not being hired.

You clearly are not a proponent of civil discourse. It you were you'd also respect the right to different opinions.

Your effectively uninformed opinion as to seriousness of Covid-19 is just that: your opinion. you are not an authority on the subject and not qualified to determine what is or is not fact.

Sheeple is a term that people like to use, often, when they are trying to prop themselves up based on opinion and not fact.

Finally, I'll bet you're also an anti-vaxxer.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Posey
    View Post
    The problem is that in our system an employer can indeed refuse to hire people whose views they do not share other than to discriminate on the basis of religious beliefs. So an employer is not obligated to ignore whatever views you wish to share. You can make your stand against being "sheeple" if you want, but in doing so recognize that when you end up in conflict with people that have some authority over your life that conflict can turn out badly for you. You surely recognize that telling your boss he or she is an idiot, for example, is likely to get you fired. So if you want to keep your job, you keep your opinion of your manager to yourself. So if you think you may want to get a job at some company some day, it pays not to share your views with the people who make those hiring decisions lest what you say may end up keeping you from a job. IMO there is nothing wrong with taking that sensible approach and that doesn't make one a "sheeple".

So, by your definitions, the manager is required to hire anyone who meets the qualifications.

So you're saying that if 20 people all meet the qualifications and there's only one job opening, does the manager hire 19 people he doesn't need or does he eliminate some of the qualified people?

Thanks Mark but I'm not here for your personal opinions, I am here for legal information.

In my opinion, you've have the most balanced advice & I thank you for it. Please understand, the conversation I had was a month ago & with a different employee. It was simply a conversation. I had never spoken with the hiring manager before the interview. The sheeple comment was in reference to advice to stay silent in my private life incase I upset anyone in the future, which is too fearful for my taste.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Posey
    View Post
    Thanks Mark but I'm not here for your personal opinions, I am here for legal information.

In my opinion, you've have the most balanced advice & I thank you for it. Please understand, the conversation I had was a month ago & with a different employee. It was simply a conversation. I had never spoken with the hiring manager before the interview. The sheeple comment was in reference to advice to stay silent in my private life incase I upset anyone in the future, which is too fearful for my taste.
    On the contrary, you are here for my opinions.

Legally you have no leg to stand on...but you knew that didn't you.

What you're saying, in the 2nd paragraph is that anyone who keeps their mouth shut is living in fear and that's a load of bollocks. Adults keep their mouths shut for all sorts of reasons from how verbal diarrhea will influence opinion about them, making others uncomfortable or simply a desire to not engage.

Your comments certainly made it to the hiring manager you were notorious! Often store employees find themselves engaged in conversation with customers and have to just ride it out. Perhaps you were that customer. Employees aren't your friends, especially the young kids that you'll likely find out on the floor and they'll hesitate to disagree openly with a 55yo (that's you).

Again, this is all, like everything else around here, opinion.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2